turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Southwest Alabama

Started by R AJ, March 27, 2013, 09:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Still constipated with few gobbles. No strut sign yet, little walking in the roads.
Next week is T/S , cloudy, rain showers. Look out the second - third week of April to bag three in four or five days if weather cooperates.

ericjames

I ain't heard any gobbles in about a week and a half hope it picks up soon.. I will be going in the morning and check them out to see if there gobbling yet.. This is by far the slowest year I have ever saw

redleg06

West Central Bama-  Heard about 6-8 gobbles total, on a place with alot of birds, over the first week and I hunted probably 5 days.  Saw more gobblers than I heard.

Going this morning to see if it's going to pick up any.  Warmer weather the next week or so should get things cranked up I hope.

R AJ

Second straight week of way less gobbling activity. I did hear at least one each day albeit few and sometimes far far away.

This morning a quail was whistling at 5:50. First gobble at 7:05 3 gobbles and hush.
Friday - waited until after 7 to even yelp and one answered immediately went to a plot .
Gobbled once and hushed.
Thursday- Heard on at 6:20 to my owl hoot . Waited 25 minutes no more gobbles.
Went to another area , yelped and got five gobbles but never came. The one that gobbled at 6:20 gobbled 5 times in a couple of minutes and hushed. ( Way off by then).

I may buy a rhinoceros call and see if I can get one of them to come in. Probably do about as much good right now. Week of April 14-21 they will be gobbling like crazy and falling like flies I hope.

R AJ

April 2- In Monroe County we heard at least 6 , maybe 8 or 10 this morning.
           On my club in Esc county one hunter heard one gobble twice today.

Did I mention that I called one to within 6 feet of me this morning and was not able to get a shot?
It happens sometimes, especially when you are on a string of misfortune. It was a great hunt and we had several answering my calling so it was not a bad day at all.

R AJ

Monroe County 4/9/2013

Thinking of changing the term gobbler back to male turkeys since they aren't really gobbling a whole lot .

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: RAJ on April 09, 2013, 11:58:01 AM
Monroe County 4/9/2013

Thinking of changing the term gobbler back to male turkeys since they aren't really gobbling a whole lot .

Same in Washington County. Know birds are there and calling them in, but no gobbling to speak of.

cahaba

Shelby County hasn't been very good . Birds with gobble 8 or 9 times from fly down till 8:30 and then go silent for the rest of the day. The ones that do gobble are loaded with hens.I believe the last two weeks will be good.

R AJ

I ran a hen off the nest last week .11 eggs in the clutch. VERY spotty gobbling and I would not bet any amount from one day to the next that they will be gobbling. Maybe worst season ever but I'll know for sure in two weeks. :help: :gobble: :gobble:

pdaugherty

Heard very little gobbling in Central AL (Chilton/Elmore Co). Had one bird gobble about 5 times on Wed morning and then silent. The birds that we are killing are coming in silent and all except the ones killed on youth weekend have been killed after 12.

wsp3

We saw a gobbler breed a hen on feb. 20  in Wilcox county. Our season came in March 15 and we killed a good many until about April 20. We have done very little since! I don't  think it is going to get any better.
                Wsp3

wsp3

The pervious post should  read April 1

ericjames

Ok folks its about that time again..Just thought I would get this thread back at the top. I am just ready to hear that first gobble of the season. I think they are starting to get a little frisky.

MUSHCREEK

I heard 9 one morning in late January across the river from Cahaba management area.

bamagtrdude

Went this morning in Tuscaloosa Co.; nothing yet.  Gave 'em a few hoots & managed to get all the barred owls mad at me!  ;)  Going to a different spot in the morning to see if there's any action there.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)