OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Decoy set-up or Rabbit Hole

Started by Ches., April 07, 2024, 09:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Baron

I don't think the lay down hen is really needed with a full strut decoy, because it's the big fella that has the drawing power.  But you already have the lay down hen, and she will only add to the ruse.

Myself, I've run a Dakota X-treme Jake decoy (passive/aggressive jake pose) for 10+ years as my one and always decoy.  I've had excellent success with it, to draw in both unwanted gangs of jakes and toms.  I also have a full strut decoy that gets deployed in specific situations, and have had some epic results from it at both ends of the spectrum.  On a field edge, I will always use a decoy, in the woods I may or may not.

I used to have a hen decoy, and rarely used it so it got sold.  In my mind, hen calling is the draw and a hen decoy can hurt more than it helps as I've had toms hang up and try to draw my decoy to them.  With no decoy, they will have to come searching but they'll know what tree you're at and a smart tom won't stick around long when he doesn't see a hen there, and even less time if he knows there was no lump at that tree last time he saw it.  But, when a tom comes to hen calling and sees a jake is trying to cut in, it seems to trigger them fairly reliably.

There's lots of room in turkey hunting to decide how you want to do it.  IMHO, calling one up in the woods with no decoy is the pinnacle of the chess game, whereas reaping a field turkey takes zero skill or knowledge of the bird.  Both are legal (where I live, anyway).  There are several layers in between, including the full strut decoy which I can understand a purist might not agree with.
"I don't hunt turkeys cause I want to; I hunt turkeys cause I have to."  – Tom Kelly

GobbleNut

Quote from: The Baron on Today at 06:29:33 AMThere's lots of room in turkey hunting to decide how you want to do it.  IMHO, calling one up in the woods with no decoy is the pinnacle of the chess game, whereas reaping a field turkey takes zero skill or knowledge of the bird.  Both are legal (where I live, anyway).  There are several layers in between, including the full strut decoy which I can understand a purist might not agree with.

Great post and comment Baron.  I will add this additional comment (again).  Regardless of how each of us decides to hunt, it is important to understand that the resource can only stand so many "hits" to its gobbler segment before it has a "real" negative impact on the overall turkey population over time.

As an educated wildlife biologist who was involved in the development of spring gobbler regulations decades ago, I can assure everybody that the impact on the gobbler population through the use of visual male turkey decoys/aids in spring gobbler hunting was never contemplated (or realized) until relatively recently.

Personally, I take no stand against folks hunting the way they want to (within some reasonable limits), but what I do take a stand against is folks not having the wisdom to know when it is time to quit killing as many gobblers as they possibly can...by using any method they possible can. 

Succinctly, we have become too good at killing gobblers with the equipment and methodologies that have been developed over time.  It is high time we collectively realize that fact and adjust our outlook and expectations accordingly.

RiverBuck

With that said, here's a good video on the need for balance. Easier said for private land but can be a can of worms when trying to implement on public lands.