Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Teach me how to hunt steep creeks and drains

Started by RiverRoost, May 05, 2024, 04:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Hunted some new ground this weekend that is mostly 6-700 ft ridges and every one falls off to creeks or drainages. Tips on how you hunt the ones that are roosted down in these drainage and creeks, roughly 150-200ft elevation change from the field edges. Get down in there with them and choose a"knoll" or ridge slope down to the drainage and hope they walk up that way? Most of this stuff was steep all around and couldn't tell any flat openings down in the creek/drainage flows where they would pitch down and hang around in. I hunt 100% flat ground where I'm from so this was a learning curve for me.

davisd9

They will pitch across. Got to find the easier ground to walk. We hunted a similar place and they roosted across the river and pitched across to logging roads going around the ridges. You could also find areas that were not as steep that they would use to move. Going to have to take time to figure out their routes and make moves. Chess matches are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer