turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to take two kids hunting at once?

Started by SCGobbler, March 26, 2013, 12:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

So my son who is 8 is showing interest in turkey hunting and now my daughter 11 has taken an interest since her brother and I went last year.

How do I introduce two children to turkey hunting at the same time?

I used a blind last year with my son and despised the inability to move.

Any suggestions?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

mark72

Build a ground blind with them. My son just started hunting with me this year and we have built a blind or two. He really liked helping I used the time to discuss with him about some of the things to look for and had a great time. It doesn't take a lot to break your silhouette when you use a few small pines or pine limbs. Hope this helps.
Genesis 9:3 ESV 
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

firstflight111

I take 2 kids all the time and i use a blind  ..1 take lots of quite snacks 2 have a nice seat for them to sit on .3 if its cold take a small heater 4 i always take them the night before to pick out snacks 5 i let them help set up the decoys .if they can call let them call who cares if its not the best and as long as they have fun they will want to go back .remember there kids it not always about the killing ..and i let them decide who's going to shoot first
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Hooksfan

Quote from: firstflight111 on March 27, 2013, 06:46:10 AM
I take 2 kids all the time and i use a blind  ..1 take lots of quite snacks 2 have a nice seat for them to sit on .3 if its cold take a small heater 4 i always take them the night before to pick out snacks 5 i let them help set up the decoys .if they can call let them call who cares if its not the best and as long as they have fun they will want to go back .remember there kids it not always about the killing ..and i let them decide who's going to shoot first

Good info right there.  Another tip is to use a tripod rest.  I also rely on red dot scopes for the kids.  The past few years, my two kids (ages 11 and 13 now) have combined for a total of 8 birds and have only missed two birds.  I attribute that success to the red dot.  Good luck and enjoy hunting with your kids.