Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting update

Started by northms, March 25, 2013, 03:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

This weekend was a little better than last.  They gobbled on the limb somewhat Saturday but we couldn't close the deal.  On Sunday it was very foggy, cold, and windy.  Still was able to get on a few birds that came into the pasture but wouldn't commit.

All and all the birds are still not "right" in north ms but are getting better.  This next weekend is calling for rain and it's suppose to be below freezing this week   :(

I'll be back at them soon.

Northms checking in.

reflexl

It opens saturday here and it is supposed to snow tomorrow! I know how it feels. reflexl

bowhunter2k9

I had a 2 boss gobblers in EXTREMELY close a couple days ago... It all started with a couple of "other property field birds". They wanted to strut on the other property so we just sat and listened to them gobble and gobble. We basically gave up but then we tried a special thing... Gobble tube.  Immediately the 2 birds closed the gap to us. they even flew down from a ridge! but only to have them basically go around us. It was a flop.. failure

PS... if you've never Fanned a bird in.... try it
Romans 8:38-39

makova

it is never a flop if you were out hunting just keep trying!!!
good luck

Ontgunner

I agree makova, keep trying bowhunter2k9.  :you_rock:
"Early bird get's the worm but the second mouse get's the cheese"

bowhunter2k9

A great tip I learned this morning.... Gobbles + trigger happy me + flooded land + 35 degrees = me driving home naked in a beach towel cause I fell in the creek .   

..... You're welcome

makova

I try to take pictures of all my great hunts to remember them, but i think you have a story you will tell your grand kids.( no pictures needed )
mike

some of my best hunts, stories are of my worst hunts!
try camping on a island in a river, you arrive set up camp on a sunny 75 degree day, next morning it is raining, two days later still raining but water is now over the bridge. Two more days of rain and the island is 1/5 the size and a mud hole! i have been in my waders for 3 days, 8 guys in one camper which sleeps 3 ! tents are trash! all the food you have ready for cooking on a camp fire, all wood floated away  day two. Cookies are selling for 5 dollers each, i hate all my buddies can't wait to go home!
2 years later what a great hunt!

bowhunter2k9

Hahaha wow that's interesting

Bamastrutter

Just checking in guys haven't hunted much the past two weeks the days I have its been cold and windy.
The birds are still bunched up and not saying a whole lot the past two days the high has been 71. Some warm weather coming next week so hopefully that will speed the process up and I can get on some hot birds. I will check back in periodically with updates and Happy Easter to everyone.

Bamastrutter,

BigGobbler

Not much happening in Florida with me the gobblers are henned up big time and its so darn dry if your not under the tree that they are in its just about over,you try to move on um and they bust from the crunching a mile away.we were on them this weekend but just no shot through the thick palmettos. The last two weeks are the best anyway,pressure drops to almost none and most hens are on nest.Now if it will just stay in the 60* degree range it will be an excellent next two weeks. ahh another cold front coming dang it, it gets mighty cold in a tent in the 30* for this florida man.

FL-Boss

where are you hunting in FL?  It's wet as hell in the north central and north east.  Cold weather looks like it's finally over now for the year.  some updates here-  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,33883.0.html

BigGobbler

@Fl-Boss. We are hunting Ocala and Osceola county still dry after last weeks drizzle.