OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Want to Nail a turkey..... try the Nail Call by Doug Herman

Started by CallDr, March 24, 2013, 03:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallDr

This is an OLD caller that has been around for over 75? years. The original ones used soap stone.

Doug was shown one of these and he knew right away how much "Turkey" was in it. He guides and is in the woods all the time and knew this caller has it's own Turkey in it. As you can see in the video it's pure death on those western gobblers......... yet it originated in the south.

It is not the most user friendly caller to run at first. That is why Doug made the video. I can tell you mine is in my vest now.....lol. If you are looking for a "different" caller or just know how much turkey this call can make. Give Doug a call. ( they are 40.00 ) 402-841-2738 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAeELLuSOo

www.wildtalker.com

outdoors

THAT'S A INTERESTING CALL , HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT
CONDITIONING THE STONE OR YOU DON'T HAVE TO , THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

barry

hunter22

I do not condition the stone on mine. It is definitely full of hen turkey and not hard to learn to use. I can cluck, purr, cutt, and yelp on mine. Like any call the more you practice the better you sound. If you do not have real long fingers you may have Doug cut your stone to 3 1/2 inches instead his standard 4 inch length. 

CallDr

Quote from: hunter22 on March 24, 2013, 10:06:09 PM
I do not condition the stone on mine. It is definitely full of hen turkey and not hard to learn to use. I can cluck, purr, cutt, and yelp on mine. Like any call the more you practice the better you sound. If you do not have real long fingers you may have Doug cut your stone to 3 1/2 inches instead his standard 4 inch length.

My stone is 3" because I have small hands. He has found a way to tell what size you need for yours. I stand corrected...... it was not easy to sound like Doug without some practice....lol.

www.wildtalker.com

BigEz

Sounds great and Doug can make it sing that's for sure.  CallDr what is the maintaince? Do you have to do anything with the stone or nail? I ask because I own a slate call that sounds just like the walnut one he used in the video, but the call I have makes me nervous durability wise out in the woods.  The nail call just looks durable, low maintaince and has that sound I'm looking for, plus I would imagine the nail call is not effected by rain or very humid days. 

Thanks
Erik

CallDr

No real maintenance and it plays on both sides the same. Not affected like other friction calls. It does have a "sound" and with it being small you can find a place to carry it. That is why I like my tube and scratch box. Gives me more options.

www.wildtalker.com

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

DirtNap647

turkey-slayer

I talked to Doug Herman today about the "Nail Call". He is making me one out of Maple and it should ship out to me this week or early next week. This call has got some serious turkey sounds coming out of it and I believe it will help bring a few birds closer to my gun barrel.

Edge1

Just got off the phone with Doug. VERY cool guy and spent a long time talking about all of his various calls etc and turkey hunting. Check is in the mail tomorrow and I'm looking forward to having one of his calls in my collection. The Kee Kee and Yelp on these things sound amazing!

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

MossbergMike

Edge1

Just got my Cherry Nail call today and man does this thing sound sweet! Took me about 30 minutes messing around with it to get control of it and I'm ready to take right to the woods with confidence. Much easier learning curve than I expected. If you have experience with the various intricacies of pressures running a friction call you'll have this thing mastered pretty quick.

The best Kee Kee call I've ever run which is why I bought one. I can Kee Kee on a pot call and a diaphragm including the Woodhaven Kee disc with the best of them and this is the most authentic sounding Kee Kee Ive found. I can't put this thing down!

Thanks Doug!