turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How would you have handled this?

Started by arrowslanger, March 23, 2013, 03:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Yeah, from the info you gave, I would have shot him. That being said, no one can make that decision but you, lots of other variables at play that we can't see.

My goal is to get the turkey to a point where I can make a good clean shot. Once I have done that, I have won and I then make every attempt to finish the deal and kill him. "It's more about the challenge than the kill" That's true, but the challenge is getting him into range, not killing him. Sounds like you may have had him in range, you just weren't comfortable with what your effective range is. Take some time shooting your gun to pattern it at different distances. Most 20s will kill a turkey out to 40 yds without issue.

A lot of hunters set self-imposed restrictions to how far they shoot. In an era of super full chokes, heavier-than-lead shot, and scoped shotguns, turkeys can be ethically harvested at distances pushing 70 yards. Thus, many hunters put a self-imposed handy cap of 40 or 50 yds on their shots, just to keep things exciting. If you would like to do the same for say 30 yards with your 20, I would set that limit prior to hitting the woods and make sure to be able to estimate that distance in a variety of circumstances.

In order to consistently harvest turkeys, a hunter must be able to make quick decisions on when to take a shot. Knowing how far you want to shoot is key to being able to make these decisions under pressure.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

firstflight111

you have no one to answer to but yourself .to wait shows great hunting maturity..
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Uncle Tom

Well said Garrett Trentham, when that birds appears and we have to move ever so slightly, waiting for him to give a good red noggin, clear that last little tree, look ahead for a little opening, oh no, went behind that tree...should have shot...there's another opening...you get the idea. At these moments we find out how steady our nerves are, we good as we think we are, is my yardage that I mentally marked in my mind the same as when he got to that spot..oh no...either I missed judged that distance or I just missed. Ole Tom Kelly said it the best...them mistakes we make can never be reversed and seldom do we get a second chance. Just keep on keeping on, be thankful you can go again and do battle with him, and above all when it is all over and you are sitting there thinking of a good excuse as to what the h--- happened. JUST LAUGH out loud, don't cry, its only a dumb turkey..you just got schooled. Oh what a wonderful sport! Go get tomorrow.

gobbler777

Congrats on your ethics ... max effective range. You don't need to keep up with the Jones ...to coin an old phrase.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

SCGobbler

I have hunted with too many people, my father included, that just want the kill; no matter what size, no matter how far.

If I were in your shoes, and I did not think that 37 yards was close enough, I would not have taken the shot.  Its not always about the shot, but about ethically dispatching a turkey.  As a turkey hunter, we owe the bird that much.

I think you made the right call.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Byhalia

Quote from: TurkeyTom on March 23, 2013, 12:03:19 PM
In my opinion..... you made the right choice..... because it was your choice!  Nobody has a right to tell you differently. Congratulations!

I'd be real proud to hunt with you anytime.   :icon_thumright:

As far as your buddy goes........  :goofball:

X2    :anim_25:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

VaTuRkStOmPeR

There is no question, I would've sent him to heaven.

The more birds you kill, the more you learn. Kill that bird and move on to others.

arrowslanger

thanks everyone....I'm going back after him Friday morning and I will hopefully have good news...... :OGturkeyhead:

ferocious calls

Will you set up in that corner please!  Good job on trusting your judgement, Now go hang him up!

Jet

I hear ya arrowslanger, I want that gobbler in close myself. I want to smell his breath, I want to know if that sucker ate chufa or grass hopers for dinner!

yankeedeerslayer

I know your pain. Last year I had taken my two boys out on separate occasions. All in all we had 3 close calls but no shots were taken. Had 3 toms at more than 40 yards and he was using a 20. Then had 1 tom that wouldn't hold still after he saw us and boy couldn't shoot. Last one we had a big bird sitting on a hill gobbling his brains out at 50 and if he would have just jumped off that limb he hopped on he would have been 15 yards closer and in range. Sometimes it's the hunt and not the kill. Boys all looked at it as a success hunt and I'm proud of that.
US Army Vet

arrowslanger

I am headed to the corner of the field on Friday morning.   I'm gonna be set up an hour before daylight.   

bangflop

MEbeardlover

This will be my second year of turkey hunting, but when it comes to hunting, an ethical shot is an ethical shot. To me, an ethical shot is one taken on a legal bird during a legal season using legal tactics and at a distance where the gun in question can provide for a clean kill. If your 20GA is capable of a clean kill shot at 37 yards, then take it.

WyoHunter

It's your license, your hunt and your decision to shoot or not. You decided not to shoot which was YOUR decision. To answer whether I would have shot or not I would have shot - but that would be MY decision.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!