turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How would you have handled this?

Started by arrowslanger, March 23, 2013, 03:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowslanger

I have been trying to kill this gobbler for days now, and all the planets lined up yesterday and i didnt pull the trigger.  37 yards and I wanted him closer. He had 6 jakes with him,  eyes were everywhere from 7 yards to 37 yards. Gobbler will not come near decoy.  But I hope I found the winning game plan.  I want to take him with 20 ga and I want him close.  And my buddy thinks I should of just shot.   So what would some of you have done?  I'm only in my 3rd season but I really think its more about the challenge than just the kill.  Besides nothing like a morning in the woods listening to gobbles and watching them fly down.....thank you lord

RickC

Take the shot that you want, the thats going to satisfy what you're after. Part of the enjoyment is the challenge. You've set a goal and it would be a shame to just settle for something less than what you went out to accomplish. Just my. 02
Blessings,
Rick

chatterbox

If you wanted him closer, then you made the right choice. If you want to know how I would have handled it, if I had a clear shot at that distance, I personally would have anchored him, but that's a personal choice.
The choice we make is one we have to live with. Good for you, and good luck with getting him!

Skillet9510

If it was me, I would have shot even with a 20ga. The choice though is yours and you have to be able to live with your decision. Sounds like you made the right choice for your hunting style. Great job on an awesome morning in the woods.

Turkey Beard

My 2 cents: If you don't want to pull the trigger then don't. So far as whether you COULD have taken the shot, it depends on your set-up. My daughter shoots a Rem. 870 20 ga. with Rem. #6's in a 3 inch load and it patterns & knocks down really well out to 35 yards so this would have been REALLY iffy for her. With some of the specialty loads out there, I think that a 20 can be stretched out to 40 or so. Like you, I prefer to limit my range and even with my 12 don't feel like I can ethically make the 45 yard shot.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Treeninja

First off it's better to have not shot then wounding or educating him. Now with that said at 37 yards he would of had a head full of 7 shot.

Uncle Tom

Arrowslanger, you probably made the right choice on that bird if you did not have that confidence of killing him. If you had shot and missed or wounded him, you would have had a terribly bad day. Could have wound up in the emergency room LOL. One bad , sick feeling. Find out how far that killing pattern is and know you can kill him at that range and next time that confidence will be there. Also, if you will hunt him without that decoy--only you and him and your calls--you will find out what real satisfaction is when you pill the trigger  on him at a whole lot less distance than that killing pattern is. Ole timer told me one time that is cheating and to this day I hate to tell him I used a decoy, so there is something to it. Not that it is wrong..done every day..just a little more satisfying if he has to get a little closer to check out that hot hen over behind that last tree. On another note, my wife passed one up last year at 15-20 yards, just could not pull the trigger on him and to this day talks about it and what an experience it was. Just be thankful for this wonderful sport the Lord has given us and there is so many ways to hunt him, get educated by him, get schooled by him, cook him, and the fellowship we experience through all of this. Hope you get him.

TurkeyTom

In my opinion..... you made the right choice..... because it was your choice!  Nobody has a right to tell you differently. Congratulations!

I'd be real proud to hunt with you anytime.   :icon_thumright:

As far as your buddy goes........  :goofball:

reynolr00

Quote from: TurkeyTom on March 23, 2013, 12:03:19 PM
In my opinion..... you made the right choice..... because it was your choice!  Nobody has a right to tell you differently. Congratulations!

I'd be real proud to hunt with you anytime.   :icon_thumright:

As far as your buddy goes........  :goofball:

Totally agree with this post.  Good decision.  Hope you get him soon!

arrowslanger

Thanks guys.....no decoy and bird refuses to move from corner of field.....u gotta love this game

Uncle Tom

Arrowslanger, is this bird strutting, with hens or just head up...searching for you or your call. How far away  and what time of day...many variables here. Sometimes nothing works...you just never know. Hope you get him. Where you at?

arrowslanger

He is strutting.....but stays in corner of field....every morning for 2 to 3 hours....shows no interest in calls one day then next day gobbled like crazy....but stays in corner of field

chatterbox

Quote from: arrowslanger on March 24, 2013, 07:12:23 PM
He is strutting.....but stays in corner of field....every morning for 2 to 3 hours....shows no interest in calls one day then next day gobbled like crazy....but stays in corner of field
That's his strut zone, I would expect. More likely than not, you are gonna have to kill him there.
Good luck!

Onpoint

If you wanted him closer then you made the right choice. If it had been me I would've rolled him but that's just me man. It takes a lot a discipline to let one walk when you know you could've had him and I respect that. Knowing you coulda had him is rewarding enough. Congrats and hope you get him in there close. Best of luck to ya.

tomstopper

Quote from: Treeninja on March 23, 2013, 10:19:15 AM
First off it's better to have not shot then wounding or educating him. Now with that said at 37 yards he would of had a head full of 7 shot.
:agreed: Last years opening day something similar happened to me. It was raining like crazy and dark in the woods when the biggest gobbler of my life came to within 45yds. I watched him strut back & forth for a good 25 min & he would not come any closer no matter what I kinda sweet talk I did. I did not feel comfortable taking the shot so I let him walk. Sitting in the same spot a couple days later I used a range finder and where he was the first day was 38yds. I should have killed him & never did get another shot at him. At least I can sleep at night knowing that I did not wound that old bird. In the end, if you don't feel right about the shot let him walk. By the sounds you did just that.