turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

over/under Turkey gun

Started by USMC0331, March 21, 2013, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

Anyone using a over and under to turkey hunt with? If so which brand and model?

BandedSpur

Beretta 686 Ultra-Light 12 ga

Team Kabob

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

CrustyRusty

Nice gun...what is that mount?

Billh

i am shooting a browning o/u superposed 1954. i have shot lead and copper plated shot for a long time. wondering about shooting the hevi shot? i have some hevi blend 5,6,7, i have been told my gun would shoot it no problem. anyone ever tried this?

Grouse870

I always thought a CZ mallard would be a good turkey gun over under with double triggers. One tight barrel and one for short range

CrustyRusty

I agree Grouse...only problem is aftermarket chokes seem somewhat limited for the CZ's.  Hopefully that has changed.

lowoctane

You ought to get in touch with William at Sumtoy. I bet he can fix you up!  :funnyturkey:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

BandedSpur

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 22, 2013, 05:05:23 PM
Nice gun...what is that mount?

Thanks. B-Square cantilever rib mount with an FF III

archdriver

I have hunted extensively with O/U (browning citori) and my favorite , SxS (merkel)

Gotta have double triggs or it kinda defeats the purpose....  Be aware, that you will generate some
very dynamic recoil if you shoot magnum loads.  Typically, doubles are lighter in weight and since they are fixed breech,  virtually 100 % of the recoil is present and can affect your precision. 

You will have to contend with 2 points of impact.  The more magnum the load, the more divergent the impacts.   On a SxS, your left barrel (which the tighter shooting choke) recoils pretty much
straight back , so not so problematic.  That right barrel will kick right with too much shell. Since this will be your short range barrel, you should consider lighter loads.

With a o/u, the bottom barrel kicks straight back but the top barrel will kick up kinda like a pistol.
Again, with lighter loads, not so much of a issue.

But, you will need to know your gun. Truthfully, double barrels are designed for exceptional wingshooting and the fluidness of the wignshot lends itself to the elegance of a double barrel shotgun. Turkey shooting is more like rifle shooting and for that reason, I have come to the conclusion that a well balanced auto is a better choice.

ArchDriver

deltaeta

I had my ruger o/u camo dipped and have really enjoyed it. Nice to have 2 different chokes to choose from.