turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with choke in 870 23"

Started by VAarrowslinger, March 18, 2013, 06:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAarrowslinger

I'd like some recommendations for a 23" Remington 870 choke to use with win xtended 3" 1 3/4oz 6 shot? Anyone familiar with this? Patterns? Currently I have a jellyhead .665 and a Carlson .660? Thanks for the help guys!

FL-Boss

it this the Super Mag with the sureshot stock? If so.. dont overlook that factory Wingmaster HD choke it came with. Real good choke with #6.

VAarrowslinger

This isn't the sure shot its a 2001 sps-t, 23" barrel with factory cantilever mount. Not a lot of this around but one of the best 870s put out. I bought it used and only with the chokes mentioned. It shoots hevi 7s and 6s excellent but I've got 28 3" xtended 6's I want to run thru it

FL-Boss

I would stick to the HEVI if your doing well. But that JH .665 should do good with your Win

Jbird22

I'd think a .655 in either a Kick's GT or a Remington Ventilator would serve those 3" Xtended 6's a little better than what you currently have. You may even find a Truglo SSX in .643 would do well with that shell also. Now don't go selling that JH cause if you ever swap to Hevi-13 it may serve you better with the heavier 2 oz payload.

Onpoint

The JH should do fine. I personally like Sumtoy chokes. I run a 660 sumtoy in my 870 and my wife uses a 665 JH.  My gun outshoots hers but only by a small margin.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 18, 2013, 06:25:56 PM
This isn't the sure shot its a 2001 sps-t, 23" barrel with factory cantilever mount. Not a lot of this around but one of the best 870s put out. I bought it used and only with the chokes mentioned. It shoots hevi 7s and 6s excellent but I've got 28 3" xtended 6's I want to run thru it

Either the Wright's #3 or the SSX should work quite well with those shells through your 23" barrel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."