OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kicks Gobblin Thunder?

Started by Dr.Love, March 17, 2013, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Love

The package says not to, but does anyone shoot hevishot out of there kicks choke tube?

chipper

Shot a bunch of extended  range and hevi 13 through  a kicks gt  .665 and .675 in invector plus Sx3.

jbrown

Shot a good many hevi 13 #6's out of my KGT, no problems.

SKFOOTER

Been doing it for years as others on here have.  No problems yet. :OGturkeyhead:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

All that writing on the packaging means, is that they will not replace a choke if it does split while using those loads.  Most chokemakers will.  Kick's and Comp-N-Choke won't.

FttFttVroom!

Put a ton of heavier than lead through a kicks .665 with no trouble.  Nice even patterns.

Dr.Love

Been shooting it out if mine and it patterns real good. Didnt know what the problem was. Also didnt know if something else might pattern better.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I wouldn't think twice about shooting Hevi-13 loads through a Kicks choke.  I have looked at a Kicks choke at Bass Pro.  They are a beefy choke and made out of 17-4ph(pre-hardened) stainless steel which is in fact the exact same steel that all the other chokes companies are pretty much using nowadays that are Hevi-Shot approved.  I'll leave out whatelse I think due to I don't want to mention any names or what I truly believe is why they don't recommend Hevi-13 loads through their chokes. 

Yoder409

Both Kick's and Comp-N-Choke O.K. the use of Winchester Xtended through their tubes.  But that's the only one.  Chuck told me it's a function of the Rockwell hardness other HTL shots being harder than the choke tube steel.  In so many words he told me that 99 times out of 100 the pellets in all the other HTL shot strings will come into the tube, line up and exit in an orderly fashion.  It's that 100th time they don't want to hear about.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Rockhound

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 18, 2013, 10:17:41 PM
Both Kick's and Comp-N-Choke O.K. the use of Winchester Xtended through their tubes.  But that's the only one.  Chuck told me it's a function of the Rockwell hardness other HTL shots being harder than the choke tube steel.  In so many words he told me that 99 times out of 100 the pellets in all the other HTL shot strings will come into the tube, line up and exit in an orderly fashion.  It's that 100th time they don't want to hear about.

What doesn't make since about this is he says nitrous are fine as well as federal heavyweight and TSS which are much heavier or bigger payloads than EM hevi

ILIKEHEVI-13

Both the Hevi-13 and the Winchester Xtended Range loads use 12g/cc shot from what was said on here along time ago by a guy that was very knowledgeable.  So if that is in fact the case what is the difference shooting either of them loads through a Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke?   

Rockhound

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 18, 2013, 11:52:58 PM
Both the Hevi-13 and the Winchester Xtended Range loads use 12g/cc shot from what was said on here along time ago by a guy that was very knowledgeable.  So if that is in fact the case what is the difference shooting either of them loads through a Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke?   

I agree even the nitros use the 12 gram shot. And if that is not as bad as 15 or even 18 gram that he says is ok

BandedSpur

Don't make the mistake of confusing hardness with density. Yes, EM  H13 and Winch XRHD are both 12 gm/cc in density, but HS is much harder than XRHD, and thus harder on chokes. And while TSS density is 18 gm/cc, a load of TSS 9s would be much less stressful on the choke than a load of H13 4s at 12 gm/cc due to the size of the pellets. The much smaller 9s wil flow through the choke much better than the larger but less dense H13 4s.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Mr. Boswell. Something smells very fishy about approving a Nitro shell loaded with HS mfg'ed by EM but not approving a H13 shell loaded with the same shot. Just saying that density and hardness are two very different concepts.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 19, 2013, 08:19:42 AM
Don't make the mistake of confusing hardness with density. Yes, EM  H13 and Winch XRHD are both 12 gm/cc in density, but HS is much harder than XRHD, and thus harder on chokes. And while TSS density is 18 gm/cc, a load of TSS 9s would be much less stressful on the choke than a load of H13 4s at 12 gm/cc due to the size of the pellets. The much smaller 9s wil flow through the choke much better than the larger but less dense H13 4s.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Mr. Boswell. Something smells very fishy about approving a Nitro shell loaded with HS mfg'ed by EM but not approving a H13 shell loaded with the same shot. Just saying that density and hardness are two very different concepts.

Was about to type the same reply :P. He recommends Nitros but not hevi shot. They are the same shot which contradicts what he says. This question pops up a few times every year. Ive shot a ton of it thru a kicks with no trouble

dawgfrombama

I shoot Winchester XRHD through mine and have great patterns.