turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA hunters What you hearing?

Started by strutnva, March 17, 2013, 11:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

Went out the last couple mornings.  Heard some hens and jakes yelping a lot on Saturday morning.  Two strutters in the flock but never gobbled.  Only one hen yelp this morning in another spot.  I'm along the NC line.  What are you guys hearing in other parts of the state.  You can be generic in location but I would like to know what part of state your in.  Thanks.

forcercon1

Good Morning Strut,

I'm also on the VA / NC line, Greensville County, and no real gobbling around me at this point. The birds are still grouped up.

What general area are you in?   

strutnva

Quote from: forcercon1 on March 17, 2013, 11:32:51 AM
Good Morning Strut,

I'm also on the VA / NC line, Greensville County, and no real gobbling around me at this point. The birds are still grouped up.

What general area are you in?

Piedmont of VA, near Martinsville/Danville

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I hunt 3 of the northern counties.

Was in the woods all day yesterday and today. The gobblers and jakes were still segregated in large flocks on most pieces. 

On one piece yesterday we encountered 4 gobblers, a pile of jakes and hens all mixed together.  That's the only integration ive seen this year on my farms.

Some birds are beginning to gobble lightly on the tree in the mornings but it's sporadic and only 1-4x.

As far as I'm, things are shaping up perfectly for a stellar spring.

Vaturkeyhntr

I hunt in Prince William county and they are screaming!!!!

strutnva

The group i watched Saturday morning had 2 strutters, 3 jakes and 7 hens.  Two of the jakes were allowed to strut in amungst the hens with the 2 big boys.  I thought that was interesting, figured the 2 strutters would have killed them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: strutnva on March 17, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
The group i watched Saturday morning had 2 strutters, 3 jakes and 7 hens.  Two of the jakes were allowed to strut in amungst the hens with the 2 big boys.  I thought that was interesting, figured the 2 strutters would have killed them.

It's too early for the longbeards to care.  This time last year they it wouldve been a different story.