turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What scentkiller?

Started by MOOSE, March 17, 2013, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOOSE

What scent killer  do you boys use? I know most say turkeys don't smell scent.....but most don't hunt Indiana turkeys. I have been winded by birds multiple times if I haven't sprayed down. I used scent killer last year.

El Pavo Grande

I bathe in vinegar.  The turkeys tend to flog me.  For some reason they like the smell of vinegar.  Best kept secret in turkey hunting. :icon_thumright:

DirtNap647

i roll around in honey then scratch feed secret thats been passed down in our family (yellow yelper) we call ourselves ;)

TN Beard Buster

I don't believe turkeys can smell like deer, but I bathe in HS scent green soap year round to keep down on a perfumey smell to help with mosquitos,bees,wasps,and other insects. It also helps to keep unseen deer from winding me.

spaightlabs

I usually go out, at least on road trips, smelling heavily of Jack Daniel, stale beer, chew and cigar smoke.

Turkeys seem to like it.

jhcats10

You're being seen, not smelled. If turkeys could smell you, they'd be nearly impossible to kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gamblinman

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 17, 2013, 09:48:00 AM
I usually go out, at least on road trips, smelling heavily of Jack Daniel, stale beer, chew and cigar smoke.

Turkeys seem to like it.

Lest we forget stumbling and falling into a fresh cow pattie as we make our way across the pasture in the dark.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Ded Goblr

captpete

Quote from: jhcats10 on March 17, 2013, 09:50:26 AM
You're being seen, not smelled. If turkeys could smell you, they'd be nearly impossible to kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That would be my guess also. I almost always spray myself down pretty good with bug spray and have had birds within 10 feet down wind of me on a couple of occassions without spooking. They did spook alittle after they got to where they could actually see me, but it wasn't from smelling me. 

For deer hunting I use Wildlife Research Scentkiller....the one that says 99% on the bottle.

Ded Goblr

:morning: :TooFunny: :icon_thumright: :TooFunny:
Quote from: spaightlabs on March 17, 2013, 09:48:00 AM

Turkeys seem to like it.

BigXX78

Repel Sportsman's insect repellent seems to work fine for me!

Kylongspur88

Sweat and skeeter spray...

renegade19

Bug spray, sweat and a thermacell just in case!