OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ol Tom is a cunning bird

Started by irishff727, March 16, 2013, 01:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishff727

So set up early early this am. Moved my spot around a bit to where I saw a bird roosting the last time I came out. Had almost the perfect set up pinned myself against a nice fat tree with some perfect low hanging branches. A nice clearing in front of me that was the only clear path for a bird to come through. With two hen decoys placed right in the middle with in 15 yards of my blind. It was peaceful sipping my coffee waiting for the sun to come up. As day light broke through the trees the woods lit up with sound. Owls hooting and crows cawing. Then I heard the first gobble off to my left burried in the hardwoods. I gave a few soft clucks on the box call I just recently got from. Forum member. So a few clucks and I get get a gobble back so I give a few sifts yelps and I get another gobble so I stop calling. I put in my bacon diaphragm nd just give some soft purrs. Right at the furthest wooded edge about 80 yards I see a Tom come walking out. He gobbles. Few times looking for a reply. I don't call one bit. And he begins to walk the edge of the woods. Goes into full strut a few times sadly he is to My left and I am left handed so I really can't adjust with out being pegged. I rip off a few soft purrs hoping it will make him comfortable but no luck something has him spooked and he ain't walking. At one point I swear we had a stare down with each other. He was about 60 yards at the closest point. I didn't make any sounds as he strutted round the edge of the woods. He turned back into the woods so in a last ditch effort I have a yelp and cluck combo on my box but he was gone. These toms are getting smarter I think. So any suggestions on what I could have or should have done or is that just turkey Hunting

irishff727

Yea thats where I was back by trail 3. Heard lots of birds. Just couldn't get em to come in. Has been the main plot so far this season