turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H&R Turkey gun , Which Choke ?

Started by bencattin, March 16, 2013, 10:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencattin

I have been shooting an H&R for the last 10 years. It is the model with bottom land camo on it. I currently shoot a Bansner 665 truglo choke in it and it does well with 5 shot.

The question is should I try a SSX in it and see how the Thug 6 shot will do ?

Ben.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

Michigander

I would try shooting the 6's through what you have first, then see if it needs something different. It seems like the Thugs have been patterning pretty good through almost any combination. Good luck and let us know how it does.

paboxcall

Quote from: bencattin on March 16, 2013, 10:38:40 AM
I have been shooting an H&R for the last 10 years. It is the model with bottom land camo on it. I currently shoot a Bansner 665 truglo choke in it and it does well with 5 shot.

The question is should I try a SSX in it and see how the Thug 6 shot will do ?

Ben.

I know this is the lead section, but I shoot the exact same gun with Hevi 3-2-7, so just take this as a data point in your search.  I have a Jellyhead .660 on the end of mine and it's a great pattern at 40, so I would take Michigander's advice and try the #6 lead load first.  I wouldn't be afriad to choke that to .660 as well.

I used to shoot a Hasting .660 through my Winchester with Supreme lead #5, patterned very well for lead.  Good luck with your experiment.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mnbeardbuster

More data. I have the 2 Bansner .665's on the end of 2 H&R Topper Deluxe Classic's shooting Win XRHD 6's.  I don't shoot lead but my guns shoot well with .665 Bansner & .675 Super Mad MAx chokes.