turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My nine year old's recipe for turkey samitches

Started by jakebird, March 15, 2013, 05:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakebird

Well my boy is a turkey killer , smoked a jake two seasons ago at age seven . I had bought him a little Rossi 20ga single shot . The short barrel and fixed modified choke had some real limitations. 25 yds was stretching it for the little 2 3/4" #6 field loads and 3" magnum loads were out of the question with a five pound gun and a young boy . Proved not to be an issue the first year as he dropped his bird with a bona fide jelly head at eight steps ! Last season though, a good shot opportunity at 25yds just ended up being too much to ask of the little gun with those loads and the bird lived another day . Well, I had a long year to think on the situation, and I decided against paying to modify the gun and also decided against heavier loads as theyre painful even for me out of that little gun . In the end I decided to see how he would do shooting lighter loads out of my turkey gun, a 870 super mag . It's not a youth gun , but he handles it pretty well . I bought a box of Federal Heavyweight #7 in 2 3/4" and they pattern awesome out to 35yds . I also bought a box of Remington heavy field loads in 1 1/4 oz of #6 for him to practice with. (The federal heavyweights are alot more salty and I only have three left .) Well needless to say he's practicing religiously and shooting like a pro and I've been pleasantly surprised how well those high brass #6's are shooting as well. I've got no reservations shooting them to thirty couple yds . This is working well for us. He has the benefit of my ported barrel and super full Carlsons .665 tube and my triviz sights and a good recoil pad . Gobblers gonna be toast inside 35 yds this yr! Here are a few of his shots from today with the distance. He pulled the shot at 35 just a little low I think .
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?