OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thumbhole stock pros and cons?

Started by FLGobstopper, February 07, 2011, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Never used a thumbhole stock before and I have a chance to buy a brand new 870 spst for about $200 off retail . I'd be replacing my 15 yr old 870 spst in bottomland camo that has a regular stock and just not sure about the thumbhole stock. Can ya'll give me any recommendations, pros or cons on that gun and stock?

I'll probably just take my jellyhead choke out of my old gun and use it in the new one if I decide to get it. Then maybe I'll add a red dot sight. Also, my gun now has a 26" barrel and the new one has a 23", ya'll think that will make much difference?

njdevilsb

I don't have one on an 870, but the one on my Mossberg 535 beat the heck out of my thumb knuckle.  I had to make a pad to fit in there out of foam and an old face mask.  It actually worked really well and I like how it feels.

Overall I like the feel of a thumbhole stock but I don't think I'll purchase another one, at least in a 3.5" turkey gun.

sugarray

I really like mine.  I have a MB 835 with a 20" barrel as well.  Really good maneuverability with just one arm.  Good grip, good steady aim.

Gobble!

After getting a pistol grip it is much easier to hold the guy steady for longer periods of time when theres a long beard strutting in

FLGobstopper

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 07, 2011, 08:49:26 PM
Is it thumb hole or shurshot?

Thumbhole. I don't think they are making them with that stock anymore and now all the SPST's come with the Shurshot stock. The Shurshot is more of a pistol grip style of stock I think. I'm pretty sure that's why I am able to get such a great deal is because they discontinued that model. Do you think they discontinued that model because there is a problem with the stock or something else?

3.5inchpainfulldeath

I have a thumbhole 535.  I love mine. 
Pros,  Comfortable, easy to manage gun, especially went trying to use a pot call and hold gun on knee.

cons... hold on tight or your thumb will take a beating.....

Reloader

Pros:

Steady hold
Helps with recoil as it spreads the recoil btwn your palm and shoulder instead of all going to the shoulder

Cons:

Bulky
usually heavy
not the greatest shall you need to shoot left handed
Not the fastest type of stock if you need to make a quick shot

joshua

Quote from: Reloader on February 08, 2011, 10:52:54 AM
Pros:

Steady hold
Helps with recoil as it spreads the recoil btwn your palm and shoulder instead of all going to the shoulder

Cons:

Bulky
usually heavy

Just what I was thinking.  I would think the shurshot stock would be more beneficial in the long run.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Reloader

Quote from: joshua on February 08, 2011, 12:10:46 PM
Quote from: Reloader on February 08, 2011, 10:52:54 AM
Pros:

Steady hold

Cons:

Bulky
usually heavy

Just what I was thinking.  I would think the shurshot stock would be more beneficial in the long run.

Yep, my cousin had me install a SS on his TH SM for the above cons. He liked it much better.