OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All That Glitters Is Not Gold - Opening Day Not As Expected

Started by R AJ, March 13, 2013, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

This morning I was advised that the prime hunting area that I was invited to hunt opening day is to be control burned today, two days before opening morning. This is a 4,000 acre burn, the entire property.

Ninja outfit? My black synthetic stock instead of Mossy Oak Obsession?Plenty of charcoal and soot will be around for face cammo.
Most of the area is fairly young loblolly pine so I will be taking some cammo material for blind purposes if needed.

I'll see if I am having pre-smoked turkey or what come opening morning, this Friday. Oh well, at least  I have a place to hunt and accept this as a real challenge. I just hope that they aren't having to do follow up burns opening day.  :gobble: :gobble:

Old Gobbler

Ive hunted and killed gobblers on burn that were still smoldering , no kidding I set up next to a smoking log in a pine block and rocked it out

I used to have a full outfit with a black hoodie and would lay flat down with my head against a tree, these days I will use a Gillie Suit even in a field with charred black  1 foot high palmettos as cover - the gobblers zip right in in a burned field with zero problems , use a decoy for distraction purposes
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

turkey_slayer

Same here Shannon. Killed a few in Tennessee in burn areas when it was still smoldering. Turkeys had black feet ;D

chcltlabz

I used to look for fresh burns when I hunted in Georgia.  Gobblers were always in them before the stumps quit smoldering.  I saved the seat from an old turkey vest that was melted from hunting in the burns.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Spring_Woods

From the sounds of things, it might be better for you! Good luck, hope you make the best of it!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hoyt

That's good news. Burns are the first thing I look for when scouting a new area. I killed a couple of gobblers on a WMA in West Central Fl. in a burn..one while it was still on fire. I had to be careful not to catch the seat of my pants on fire when I sat down.

Those burns will be good all the season. First for fried bugs,etc., then for fresh shoots coming up.

This is one of them..it was later in the season and the dried up cypress ponds had good green grass in them after the fire.

mudhen

They burn in Kansas all the time, and the birds flock to it, get it?, flock to it?  Ha, I crack me up!

I've shot working birds with flames still in the field.  I have been told the birds love the newly exposed bugs and seeds.

Black feet for sure!

Good luck!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

WNM

Yep, don't worry about them running off from the fire. They'll be back as soon as they won't singe their feathers.

heathwesley

in a week - 2 weeks when the new starts to grow back - Turks will be all over it!!  Good luck!

catman529

I killed my first turkey ever on a WMA in a burned field - the area had been burned probably in the winter or fall before, and the green growth was just coming up. By the end of season it was nothing but green. Now that field is an overgrown CRP field, last I saw, with some lanes bush hogged through it. Ill be hunting the area this spring but not that field unless they bush hogged it this winter. Would be cool if they burned it again.