turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many of you prefer to "go solo"?

Started by redleg06, March 13, 2013, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNM

Also, I definitely prefer hunting solo on public land. Unappreciative hunting partners always tell someone that we heard/saw birds or sign even when they say they won't...pisses you off when you do the legwork scouting and calling.

I do like long-gunning a hunting partner. "Wait until he comes past that tree....10 more yards." Then Shooting the bird when my buddy thinks he's about to shoot after the bird takes 2 more steps  :toothy9:

heathwesley

I spend hundreds of hours each fall and winter pursuing whitetails alone.  I enjoy the solitude of that season to think and just enjoy nature - its my church.  When spring rolls around I am ready to throw on stinky hunting clothes and enjoy the hunt with others.  I love youth season and taking someone young out for their first hunting experiences.  Or just taking a first timer out.  I also have my hunting buddies (My brother and brother in law).  Its a special time for us.  We are obsessed turkey hunters.  Soon I will enjoy the company of my two young sons on spring turkey hunts.  So my answer is I enjoy hunting spring turkeys with others.  That said I make it out at least once a season all alone and my success rate goes up a ton.  Alone you can sneak quieter and get and get away with a little more. 
Good luck this spring everyone.
Heath Smith - Illinois Turkey Hunter

MOStrutter

I have forgotten what it is like to go turkey hunting alone.  I really do miss it.  However, when you hunt private land and you don't own any of it, you are constantly taking other people.  I cannot complain though since it opens up a lot of oppurtunities for me to hunt some prime NE Missouri farm ground.  I have seen so many birds get taken by the guy/gal sitting next to me that I have never even thought of shooting and it really never gets old.  If all I have to do is put someone or their kid on a turkey so that I can hunt there in the future, thats a small price to pay.  I do miss just making my own decisions instead of having a small conference about when, where, and how everytime.

AndyH

I only hunt with one buddy and he doesn't get to go much. Other than him I prefer to hunt alone.

birdyhunter

Love going solo but there is nothing like taking my dad and older brother. They have never turkey hunted much and only in the last 2 years have I gotten them in to it. I was over their shoulder when both killed their first toms. It's awesome to be able to introduce my dad something new and be able to give back some of the time he gave me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Rio Fan

I love going with my dad.  He's 70 and has slowed down quite a bit, so I'm not sure how many more years I'll get to hunt with him.  I take my older brother once in a while, but he's busy coaching high school baseball.  I also have a good buddy that I really enjoy hunting with, we've had lots of fun and exciting hunts together over the years. I do love hunting by myself a few times each season as well.  I'm hoping my 7 year old daughter will eventually want to hunt with me, time will tell.

WyoHunter

I'm a "solo" hunter and always have been except when I take my grandson out in the Youth season.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

appalachianstruttstopper

Prefer solo unless it's my son, dad, or the 77yr ole man that tought me alot of what I know. I have been filming the last couple of years with a buddy of mine and I sure miss those days alone in the woods to be honest.

FttFttVroom!

If I wanna have fun, I take a friend.  If I wanna kill a limbhanger, I go solo.

NappinUnderTrees

Last year was my first season on hunting Turkey's and since I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes I went at it alone. I missed having my dad along with me who I do all my other hunting with. Good thing I got him hooked into going this year before the season started!!! All in all either way is fine with me, a good nap going at it solo and waking up to a noisy hen close to you really gets the heart racing all most as much as a Tom Gobbling in your ear.

CallDr

It's all fun. What ever blows your feathers back.

www.wildtalker.com

cahaba

I prefer going alone. I used to fish buddy trail bass tournaments and I would fish by myself. Somebody always wanted to go with me but I like the solitude and the freedom to make my own decisions good or bad. I think I learn more without the distraction of another hunter. I had rather take someone that's never fished or hunted rather than someone who has done it unless I might learn  from him/her and vice versa.