turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many of you prefer to "go solo"?

Started by redleg06, March 13, 2013, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atoler

really depends on the person, I enjoy hunting with others for the most part, but some people will get on my last nerve in the turkey woods. I really like taking first timers.

on the flip side, if I wasn't able to hunt alone about half the time, I wouldn't enjoy the company nearly as much.

my success rate is better alone.

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

El Pavo Grande

I hunt a lot with other people, 2 or 3 very well with and in tune with each other's styles, etc. gained only by many hunts and trips together.  I usually take a few different people hunting each year, a few of which I have been privileged to call in their first turkeys.  I enjoy carrying the camera and sometimes here at home it may be several days into the season before I am going solo or being the main shooter.  I'll admit I sometimes am excited at the fact to get to hunt alone.  I think most of the time I am more effective alone, because I can over analyze or second guess decisions when other hunters are involved rather than just making those quick, second nature decisions and rolling with it during a hunt.  I like both aspects, but it is nice to squeeze in some solo days.  I do look forward to hopefully many future hunts shared with my two boys.

TrackeySauresRex

I hardly hunt alone.. Maybe a few times a year. That's when I usually get one. I love sharing the whole experience with friends and my son. When I'm alone the gun is on my knee. When I'm with someone it usually laying across my lap. My priority is always to let the person I'm with get the shot. An assist is even better than getting one myself,especially first timers. That's what I really enjoy  :turkey:
I do like to be alone at times just to take it all in. Thank You  :cross2:     
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

chcltlabz

I enjoy both for different reasons.  Most of the people I turkey hunt with have been at it less than 6 years, some much less.  I enjoy getting to watch them "discover" little things about the hunt, like hearing their first spit and drum, or having a bird hammering out gobbles from behind a bush 10 yards away watching them just about crawl out of their skin wishing he'd step out from behind that bush.  Time with good friends comes less and less these days too, so sometimes its just nice to get to hang out enjoying the things we love in life before all the stuff that doesn't really matter gets in the way.

Parts that get frustrating are the usual arguments we have with ourselves when we hunt solo.  Should we try and get closer, or sit tight, which is usually met with "your call".  That burns me sometimes, but its all part of the hunt.  All said, I do "enjoy" the hunt more when I'm hunting with someone.

Solo hunts are all business.  When we hunt out of state we always ride together but split up and hunt solo when we get there.  I enjoy the intensity of the way I hunt alone, but I can't help but think that maybe sometimes I forget to sit back and enjoy those little things I seem to notice more when I'm with someone.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough to hunt so I get to see all the things I fell in love with all over again.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

headbanger

I always hunt solo unless my son happens to be home from college.

drenalinld

I would choose to hunt with a buddy, but like Ronnie if I really want to kill a bird I have a lot more confidence by my self.

DirtNap647

like going solo always thought one person sneaking around was enough movement and noise let alone another

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

BrowningGuy88

I will certainly run solo if my hunting partners can't go, but now that my granddad retired I am pretty much always with someone.

I hunt with my granddad every Saturday morning at the very least and then with one of three guys any other day I am off. I just enjoy spending time in the turkey woods by myself or with a good friend.

Wingbone

I've had this discussion many, many times with my friends. Most of my close friends that turkey hunt will not go alone. They feel that the more people, the better their chances. I, on the other hand, feel like every time I add a person to the hunt, I cut my chances 50%. I just don't like having anyone else's opinion on how I should approach a bird, especially when I've got 5X as many beards on the wall as they do. Also, the one on one, me vs. Ole Tom, aspect gives me more of a thrill than party hunting.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

turkey slayer

Quote from: Gobblehead30 on March 13, 2013, 08:20:55 PM
It totally depends on who I am hunting with..  I have had some hunts with people that I was so irritated with their every move.   My best hunts by far have been shared with good friends.   
I agree 100%

hoyt

I like hunting alone..especially spring gobbler hunting.

catman529

I mostly prefer hunting alone... Can really do it my way and hunt the way I like. But, I do also like to hunt with a friend or two because you can share the hunt and the memories and also hunt differently with 2 people covering the same ground. It's mostly the social aspect that I like about hunting with someone when I'm not hunting alone. I've killed most of my birds alone and sat right next to a buddy when he killed one last year.

Burney Mac

I've only got a few real close friends I hunt with. Just the average buddy does not get the invite, nor would I be willing to tag along with them. I love taking kids out. I enjoy hunting with me dad alot. I guess since he's up in years and doesn't get around quite as well I feel like I'm giving back what he gave me when I was young, hard headed, and couldn't be still. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have the full fledged obsession that I do. My wife is probably my favorite person to hunt with. She learned a long time ago that if she wants to kill a turkey she better do exactly as I say....If only I could get the rest of the marriage to go like this, HAHA. Without sounding selfish I would rather turkey hunt alone for obvious reasons that have already been stated. Basically the complaining, asleep feet, hurting butt, and the uncomfortable tree. If I'm alone I can do what I want, when I want, and how I want it. If i bugger a bird, miss, or make a mistake in any other shape or form it's all my fault. If the others happen when I am with someone I'm more apt to think it must have been there fault, or how in the world could you miss a turkey strutting at 20 yards? I mean I could never do any of those things because I'm a well trained turkey killing machine that never screws up.....I wish, lol. However, some of the best memories in the turkey woods have been with other people, wife, dad, freinds, and young people. I guess for me it's about finding some type of balance which is tough sometimes, but I must have my "me" time turkey hunting at some point.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."