turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any diesel mechanics here?

Started by Spring_Woods, March 13, 2013, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

I've burned up two rebuilt turbos since Monday on my loader. Could it be an internal issue? Rods? Mains?

Btw- before anyone asks, yes I did check the spark plugs. :D :D :D
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

rev

When you say burnt up ? Did the turbo locked up ? Can't spin the shaft ? If so it's a oil feed problem, take the oil line off going to the turbo and make sure it is clear, they can have a flapper in the hose that under pressure can shut the oil flow down. some engines have a check valve hooked into the oil line at the engine block then the oil line screw into it, check valve could go bad. when you replaced the turbo, you must pre lube the turbo with oil, just pour some oil into the fitting that the oil line goes to and spin the shaft, you will see the oil level in the fitting drop, won't take to much,  make sure engine is off when spinning the shaft :D  :D. That's for the spark plug joke then let the engine idle for 3 mins or so before putting a lot of rpms to it.

If the shaft turns, but oil is going out the exhaust side, that's the oil seal, bad rebuild,
If the fins on the blades are chewed up, look for junk in the intake side.
If the first turbo came apart, the turbo spins at more then 1000,000 rpms and it will parts way up to the air cleaner, then it will work it's way back down,

Does this engine have a charge air cooler on it ? A big radiator that's between the intake manifold and the turbo ?

rev

Sorry missed a word, turbo will spin at over 100,000 rpms, if the first turbo blew up it will THROW parts way up to the air cleaner

Hope that helps some

Spring_Woods

Just wiggles on the shaft end like the bearings are out.

I have a braided line going from the block to the turbo. Are you saying check that line?

As far as parts getting thrown into the air filter I took the outer filter off and checked for parts and didn't see any!? Possible I need to take the 2nd filter off for visual inspection?

It's a B series Cummins on a front end komatsu WA120 loader. Looks like this-
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

rev

Yes, check that line,
Is the the oil return line a tube ? About the size of quarter or is it a line also ( bottom of the turbo)

You can check the oil line going to the turbo by unhooking the line from the turbo and sticking the end in a bucket , pull the fuse  marked ECM and have somebody crank the engine and watch the oil flow, crank for about 5 or 10 seconds and watch the oil flow, should be a steady stream.

Engine should not start with ECM fuse pulled, that's if the engine has a electric fuel injection pump,
If engine does start shut it off, or you will get sprayed with oil.

Hope that helps some