OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1ST call in the early am?

Started by Deerstalker, March 11, 2013, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackerbucky

I'm of the more is less school of thought. Until he flies down just a tree call or two.  He'll know where you are.  If he's alone just a few soft yelps after he flies down and then let him come find me.  If he's with hen(s) then all bets are off and I give him the heavy cutting and excited yelps.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

West Augusta

Soft tree calls unless there is a hen close.  If there are hens close I pick a fight with them.  Forget the gobbler and concentrate on the hens. He'll come to watch the cat fight or she will bring him. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

appalachianstruttstopper

My advice to beginner hunters is less is always more. Don't try to be to agressive like you see on TV shows, they are trying to get good gobble footage. If a bird starts working your way or pitches off the limb in your direction, most of the time the deal is made. Simple 3 to 4 note yelps has killed alot of birds and over aggressive calling has saved alot as well. The more they gobble, the better the chances are for another hunter to close in on you or him gobble up a hen.