turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1ST call in the early am?

Started by Deerstalker, March 11, 2013, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deerstalker

What do you folks suggest that a new Turkey hunter use for the first call in the morning just when it starts to get light or should I stay quiet and just listen?  Thanks for the help.

Hooksfan

I try to wait for a bird to gobble on his own.  If he gobbles while it is still early, I might do a soft tree yelp to let him know where I am and MAYBE a flydown cackle at flydown time, but I have learned to hold waaaay back on the calling while he is still in a tree.  If I don't hear a bird gobble, I wait until I hear the crows flying and calling before I even think about making a call.

redleg06

I like to let the birds make the first sound and then  react accordingly.  Unless I've roosted one the night before or I'm lucky enough to already be in a spot I think I can kill the bird at fly down, my first thought (before I ever make any kind of sound) is to try and get to a spot where I feel like I can kill him.  If I'm able to get to a spot I think I can call him to, once he flys down, I'll give him a fly down cackle or some yelps.   

I really dont like to call while their still on the limb and I wont call until I'm in a good spot to try and call him all the way in.  In other words, I dont call and give up my position if I dont have a good set up.

renegade19

I'm going to try less calling to roosted birds this year.  But, I'd say tree peeps and then a fly down.

Vaturkeyhntr

Let them gobble on their own first thing in the morning.  Once it gets closer to flydown time ill give a few clucks and then use a wing to scratch the tree, then ill fly down with the wing and wait til he makes them next move.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Silence until the bird hits the ground.

Don't overcall.  Often, less is more.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 11, 2013, 09:20:05 PM
Silence until the bird hits the ground.

Don't overcall.  Often, less is more.

I agree with this, but somedays I just want to hear how many times I can get one to gobble (I seldom kill on those mornings). I also never use locator calls early in the day. A crow call after the sun is good and up, but I quit the owl hooting awhile ago.

Spring_Woods

Depends I reckon. If I'm calling to a bird that's assumed already on the ground I like to start off with soft yelps IF I don't hear any other competition. Use the soft calls to check his temperature. Then usually wait a few minutes or longer and let him gobble on his own in your direction and maybe just maybe throw out a carefully crafted series of clucks and soft yelps.

If you have competition that is serious, time to take the gloves off and pray and plan on more than likely waiting to kill him mid morning.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

redarrow

First thing I hit is the owl hoot. If I get a gobble I wait until i hear the little birds start chirping then real soft tree yelps.

tomstopper

Quote from: redarrow on March 11, 2013, 10:14:56 PM
First thing I hit is the owl hoot. If I get a gobble I wait until i hear the little birds start chirping then real soft tree yelps.
x2 but I also add in some wing flapping to imitate fly down. Just remember not to call to much.

Ryan T

If you're 150 or closer to him, call so soft that a man can't hear the call at 50 yards.  If he answers, you're in the game.

Old Gobbler

I hunt plenty on public so I avoid getting them fired up in the dark when other hunters can close in on em'  - if not hit em with the owl call and find out where they are at --

let him gobble for a bit   , just before flydown , try hit him with a few cuts like a hen does when she flys down ( in contest lingo the jazzed up flydown cackle ) ( but in the woods they rip a few loud cuts  as they pitch out off the limb), see if he likes that ....  wait a while.... try a yelp , see if he likes that.....   play hard to get , but available for a "date"

you want him to pitch out of that tree and come your way

you don't want him to get all worked up and start to gobble allot and attract other hunters , or sit on the limb for long periods  , and stare down at your location , remember the more you call in open terrain , the more he  will look directly at your location and look for movement  - hide very well , or make like a rock and dont move a inch

good luck --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hwy419

I suspect the advice here is GOLD. Will be working it in to my routine this year. Thanks to OP and turkey ninjas for the great content.

RutnNStrutn

I also let the birds start gobbling on their own, BUT, I'm not very patient, so if they don't start when I want them to, I hit the owl call. Once I'm in position on a gobbling bird, I use a few, soft tree calls just to let him know I am there. Then I shut up, let him fly down and come looking for me.

WildTigerTrout

I try NOT to call and just listen for a gobbler to go off on his own. If after a period of time (which may vary some) I don't hear anything I may try a crow call to make one shock gobble. If I know I'm in a gobbler's home turf and the area where he is roosted I may use a LOW tree call before daylight just to let him know I'm there. I do NOT overdo it. Calling one or twice is enough.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!