OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for an Alabama update

Started by whiskey, March 10, 2013, 07:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdaugherty

Birds are gobbling very little in central AL (Chilton County). We took 8 kids this past weekend at our place and there were three birds killed. My son killed one bird Sat and another one Sunday. Both 2yr old birds 20 and 22lbs 10 in and 10.25 beards 3/4 spurs and 5/8 spurs. A nother kid killed a huge 26lb bird with 1.25 spurs and 9.5 beard a GIANT!!! None of them gobbled but they sure put on a show spitting and drumming. I've got lots of strutters on my game cameras but have only heard a few birds gobble once in the mornings. Hopefully this warm weather this week will fire them up.

whiskey

Quote from: Hhayes6 on March 12, 2013, 10:28:57 AM
Saw 4 full strut birds on my way to School at Jacksonvile State University(5 minutes from Anniston). All in different fields and they each had about 5-10 hens with them

My little sister, April Gilbert, is on the basketball coaching staff at JSU. She isn't a coach, she does something with academics I think. She sends me pics of the turkeys in the fields on her way to work. Glad to hear they are strutting. Looking forward to Friday.

Hhayes6

It's a small world! Good luck I will be skipping class Friday! Accounting or Turkey Hunting??? Easy choice!!!  :fud: :newmascot:

BamaProud

Not much in Washington county according to my Brother N Law.  I'll see for myself this weekend anyway. :)
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

redleg06

Still slow gobbling in Bama this morning and they arent really "with it" yet...Hopefully this warm day today will get them going.

TRKYHTR

I got some texts of some dead AL turkeys today.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stinkpickle

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 15, 2013, 04:54:43 PM
I got some texts of some dead AL turkeys today.

TRKYHTR

Yep...Facebook is filling up with pics.

whiskey

We have been on birds on and off. They are quite on the ground.

ALfwlmth

Whiskey, you gotta get where the're going.   :popcorn:   Rain and cold had em hush mouth'd for the past few days but they are doing just enough to let you know where they are. Good luck!

fsu33952

I was at Chocolocco WMA this am and didn't hear anything but the wind blowing. Plenty of scratching though.

uarobert

Quote from: fsu33952 on March 16, 2013, 10:16:21 PM
I was at Chocolocco WMA this am and didn't hear anything but the wind blowing. Plenty of scratching though.

You did better than I did, then. Last two days I hunted all day. May have heard some hens cutting at me from far away one time. No gobbling, no scratching, no stepping. All the wind could have covered up a lot of sound, though. That place was SLAMMED with hunters, though. I don't doubt that had a hand in the silence.

whiskey

Well we chased 5 toms all afternoon, but couldn't get in front of them. Property boundaries have been hurting us. For some reason they like the neighbor's pasture better than ours. I wish one of those toms would man up and run the others out of the group.