Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who all taught themselves to turkey hunt?

Started by BlakeJ, March 10, 2013, 12:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

No one in my family turkey hunted when I was growing up (we hunted pretty much everything else), so I've pretty much been self taught on gobblers. Just wondering who else taught themselves to turkey hunt?

land cruiser

Quote from: BlakeJ on March 10, 2013, 12:41:05 AM
No one in my family turkey hunted when I was growing up (we hunted pretty much everything else), so I've pretty much been self taught on gobblers. Just wondering who else taught themselves to turkey hunt?

No one in by family hunted, period. So I guess I am self taught as well.

redleg06

My dad always took me deer hunting but he never really got in to turkey hunting but he took me because he knew I enjoyed it. He had no idea how to do it but we still managed to get lucky a few times and kill a few when I started out.  Since I was really the one interested in it, I was the one learning to call and trying to really "learn" all the rest of the ways to hunt and he was just kind of there to drive me to and from the hunt and make sure I was safe.  I really appreciate that, looking back, because he dang sure wasnt getting up early because he liked it but really just there to support me with it.

Never really had any friends that were in to turkey hunting growing up either. I got a few of them in to the sport along the way and, over the years, have found one or two that I enjoy hunting with and that I'd say I learn stuff from.

8upbowhunter

I hunted just about everything except turkey until I was 46 years old. That's when my 21 year old son told me "Let's go turkey hunting". I told him that I knew nothing about turkey hunting and to be honest a turkey did not excite me in any way. He said so what, let's go anyway. The upcoming weekend was the final weekend of turkey season so we headed to camp that Thursday night, stopped at Cabelas on the way and bought some turkey shells and a pot call.

The next morning we headed out well before daylight (we hunt public land) and walked 2 miles back and waited for daylight. Just before daybreak one gobbled on the roost not too far away and every hair on my body stood up......I was hooked at that point! We chased gobblers all weekend from daylight to dark each day but never did see any. Just about everything that I have learned from that point has been from trial and error (with lot's of errors), read on this forum and a few pointers from my friend that is a member of our camp and the only other turkey hunter in the camp. So I guess I am self taught and learn something new every hunt.

The area we hunt has a very short season which consists of one 2 day youth lottery hunt, three 2 day lottery hunts and a 7 day regular season that opens on Monday following the last lottery hunt. We have been fortunate enough to get drawn for lottery hunts the last 3 seasons and I got drawn for the weekend lottery this year that is just before the Monday opener which we have vacation through Thursday.   

JLeòdhas

I am self taught as well, I could write a book about what not to do while turkey hunting.
Jason Leòdhas

guesswho

I learned with my Dad and Mom who both knew nothing about it either back in the 60's.n  They both know a little bit about it now.   

I think your better off being self taught versus being taught by someone.  Self taught you learn to hunt your way and you develop your own style so to speak .  Taught by someone else and your learn how they hunt, which may or may not be the way you would hunt had you learned on your own.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MiamiE

I taught myself as well. Although every trip out is still a learning experience.

Ded Goblr

Me, myself, and I.. I grew up in a die hard hunting and fishing family, but no turkey hunting..

Treeninja

Self taught here also. No one in my family hunts at all, and a friend sold me an old bow and started me deer hunting. Thats where the madness begins...

coyotetrpr

I grew up hunting with whoever would take me. One time a couple that was friends with my mom invited me to their cabin during turkey season. Their place was in the ozark hills. I was given a few pointers and sent off on my own. To this day, 20 some years later, I am still teaching myself lessons. With the help of mr. Tom that is.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

dirtnap

Nobody ever took me either.  I started about 20 years ago.  I too, could write a book about how to screw up.  That's the only way to learn in my opinion.

Hooksfan

I grew up around some turkey hunting legends, but they were a tight lipped old school crew.  My Dad took us deer hunting, but he knew nothing about turkey hunting. 
I guess attitudes were different back then about taking kids hunting, because I was on my own other than listening to Dick Kirby calling cassettes and listening to some of the old school hunters talk.
I did learn to keep my mouth shut about where I hunted and where I heard a turkey gobble.  Back in those days, the only time anyone ever admitted to hearing a turkey gobble was when it was taking a ride in the back of the hunters truck.
Even to this day, one of my pet peeves is folks giving up specific information to public hot spots on the internet--especially places that are largely undiscovered.

Jay

Hunting family, but not Turkeys. Learned on my own, and put down a Jake, but really wasn't doing that well until I was mentored by an old school callmaker. After that my hunting really took off.

Balla1982

As many other stated on here, my family were die hard deer and small game hunters. I knew a couple older guys around here that loved turkey hunting so I went with them once. No luck.
The next weekend I had bought a Primos box call, can't remember what it was, and headed out on our land.
I sat down and made a couple yelps. Yeah. They were awesome!  Lol. About 10 minutes went by and I heard a noise that made my hair stand up and my heart beat outta my chest. It was a gobbler spitting drum and ever since then I was hooked.
My family have all become die hard turkey hunters now except my dad who doesn't have time to hunt anymore, but I've learned through many many mistakes and reading whatever I could on this crazy bird.

firstflight111

My dad and i always hunted deer, turkey, ducks and geese and small game .. now i just hunt the birds no time for deer anymore . but it i really did not learn much as i thought i did about turkeys, till i got older and got off on my own and after failing many times, i started to learn my way in turkey hunting, well the way i like to hunt .now i have Lot's of time to scout my birds learn the new runways,  most of them stay the same year after year .and it fun getting to watch turkeys grow from year to year .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED