turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3 videos Up - Glass, slate, box - Please critique/give opinion

Started by C.j., March 08, 2013, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.j.

Ok these calls are still not doing what I want them to, What do yall think? Please critique and let me know what you think I can do to improve

your not going to hurt my feelings so lay it on me, fast forward to half way through for the glass call.

Pot calls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnVu8KJPi4

box call- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btLYCGACcFY

C.j.

wvcurlytop

To my ears the third striker has the most pop in it, and sounded generally better for the clucks and purrs. 
The slate, I thought it sounded the best with the second and third striker when you called on the small side.  Just me.  I didn't really care for the yelps on it on the big side, though some of it may have been you, it just sounds a little tight to me.
The glass, I thought sounded better than the slate, by far.  At minute 4:49, I liked the sound of those yelps with the first strker, and in my opinion that is the place to call on on the glass.  All three strikers had their moments on the glass, and again the third striker I think has some potential.  Try to find that spot again that you hit at the above mentioned time.  I think that may be your sweet spot on that call.  I would concentrate on the glass mostly, as I think it has the most potential.  Some of the squeals may be you, and then again the tips may need cleaned, or roughened up, or the call may need roughened up again.  I think you are headed in the right direction and just practice.  It takes some time to get consistent with your striker pressure, as well as staying consistent with your cadence.  I would practice with that glass until I got hand cramps, and then practice some more with it.  It gets easier in time.  I thought these were better than last time too. 
Not sure if this is true, but I was always told to keep your strikers seperate.  Meaning that the striker you use for your glass call, don't use on a slate, and vice versa.  I have always done this as a man who sounded a lot better than me advised me of that, so perhaps I should pass it on.  So when you find the striker you can be the most consistent with, keep it with that call, and don't use it on another one.  Hope this helps, and thanks for posting another video, as I really enjoy listening to them. 

dreis3

Quote from: wvcurlytop on March 08, 2013, 10:55:29 PM
To my ears the third striker has the most pop in it, and sounded generally better for the clucks and purrs. 
The slate, I thought it sounded the best with the second and third striker when you called on the small side.  Just me.  I didn't really care for the yelps on it on the big side, though some of it may have been you, it just sounds a little tight to me.
The glass, I thought sounded better than the slate, by far.  At minute 4:49, I liked the sound of those yelps with the first strker, and in my opinion that is the place to call on on the glass.  All three strikers had their moments on the glass, and again the third striker I think has some potential.  Try to find that spot again that you hit at the above mentioned time.  I think that may be your sweet spot on that call.  I would concentrate on the glass mostly, as I think it has the most potential.  Some of the squeals may be you, and then again the tips may need cleaned, or roughened up, or the call may need roughened up again.  I think you are headed in the right direction and just practice.  It takes some time to get consistent with your striker pressure, as well as staying consistent with your cadence.  I would practice with that glass until I got hand cramps, and then practice some more with it.  It gets easier in time.  I thought these were better than last time too. 
Not sure if this is true, but I was always told to keep your strikers seperate.  Meaning that the striker you use for your glass call, don't use on a slate, and vice versa.  I have always done this as a man who sounded a lot better than me advised me of that, so perhaps I should pass it on.  So when you find the striker you can be the most consistent with, keep it with that call, and don't use it on another one.  Hope this helps, and thanks for posting another video, as I really enjoy listening to them.

I agree, keep trying to achieve the sound you had 4:49.  IMO those were the most realistic yelps with a higher front end and dropping into rasp on the back.  Practice, practice, practice, it's the only way to get better....  Run calls as often as you can, literally until your hands cramp up.  I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Mike Battey's Spittin' Feathers CD, ya can find it on Wild Talker Game Calls webpage, there's some killer turkey vocalizations on there and will give you all the realistic talk you're trying to achieve.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

wvcurlytop

Just listened to the box call and honestly, it'll call turkeys!  Sounded pretty good, especially as close to the microphone as you were.  Most boxes sound better the further away you get, but you sound good enough for me on it.  But still practice, we all can be better..  Thanks for posting it..

C.j.

Thanks for the help, Im going to work on getting to that sound, I'll post another video once I get it.

MG150

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way to hold a striker?Do what feels comfortable to you.I hold my striker like a pencil down closer to the tip with my hand resting on the bottom of the call.I can control the striker pressure better like that.Sometimes when I was hunting I was afraid I was going to mess up when I called,that most of the time led me to mess up my first notes because I didn't have confidence in my calling.One thing that helped me out was to listen to the CD"Tree Top Turkeys volume 3"over and over to get the sounds and cadence of turkeys in my head.You can even play your calls along with the turkeys.What better teachers than real turkeys.Once you start hearing what you want your calls to sound like you will have more confidence in yourself.Then you won't have to think about am I using right striker pressure?It will kind of become muscle memory like learning chords on a guitar.Hey I still mess up!I just keep practicing. MG150

captin_hook

Sounded pretty good. Those will definitely bring in turkeys.