turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tube call

Started by irishff727, March 06, 2013, 05:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

irishff727 if in any way you are not satisfied with your tube call just let me know I will certainly refund your monies and or make another call. You really just need to keep plugging away at it, is there any one near you who plays one? It always helps to have eye to eye contact with someone when you are trying to learn. Just let me know, Pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

irishff727

Not at that point yet pappy still not giving in quiet yet. I don't know of Anyone close to me that uses a tube call what so ever. I have listened to a bunch of sound files and messed with the latex a lot even tried some different thickness latex. I am sure it will just come to me one day.

lumberjack

Not sure how well it would work...but do you use Skype??  Not the same as face to face....but better than nothin.  Just a thought.

BT

I personally like the extra thin / tan latex, and to add some rasp, you might want to try using two layers of latex on the call at once, similar to a diaphragm call.  Try setting the bottom piece of latex just a tad longer than the top piece of latex.  Put another way, the bottom piece will be slightly closer to the mouth piece than the top piece of latex.

You might also try blowing air over your bottom lip, while saying "book book book" in what feel to me like a very loud whisper.  This should help you learn move air over your bottom lip, while moving your jaw.  From there, you can change the sounds with your voice, changing to yalk, yalk, yalk, yalk (Once again, I don't just blow it.  I actually feel like I'm saying it under my voice.)

For clucks and cuts, I like quick bursts of pook, buck, took, tuck, or anything else along those lines.  -- Using Pook or buck, I feel like I'm popping my lips apart as the air is released.  Using took or tuck, I feel like I'm popping my tongue in a quick downward direction off the back of my top teeth, as the air is released.

Hope that helps and best of luck! 

zeus26

Quote from: BT on March 17, 2013, 07:12:19 PM
I personally like the extra thin / tan latex, and to add some rasp, you might want to try using two layers of latex on the call at once, similar to a diaphragm call.  Try setting the bottom piece of latex just a tad longer than the top piece of latex.  Put another way, the bottom piece will be slightly closer to the mouth piece than the top piece of latex.

You might also try blowing air over your bottom lip, while saying "book book book" in what feel to me like a very loud whisper.  This should help you learn move air over your bottom lip, while moving your jaw.  From there, you can change the sounds with your voice, changing to yalk, yalk, yalk, yalk (Once again, I don't just blow it.  I actually feel like I'm saying it under my voice.)

For clucks and cuts, I like quick bursts of pook, buck, took, tuck, or anything else along those lines.  -- Using Pook or buck, I feel like I'm popping my lips apart as the air is released.  Using took or tuck, I feel like I'm popping my tongue in a quick downward direction off the back of my top teeth, as the air is released.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Any chance you toss a pic up of the double latex reeds on a tube?  Just want get a visual if spacing.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

BT

zeus26

Quote from: BT on March 19, 2013, 09:17:14 PM

Thanks BT!

Am I correct in thinking that its the top reed that is shorter?

BT

Yes.  I put the top reed shorter and change them out when they've been used a bit because they'll start to stick together.  Good luck and hope it helps!

pappy

John, I got the tube call today and will put your pot call Glass/Glass in Quilted Maple in the mail in the morning, unless we are snowed in. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

irishff727

Lol thanks pappy it looks great cant wait

nickhrp

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 06, 2013, 06:38:02 PM
Here is a video clip of a tube call demo I did that packmule referred to. Pappy's tube call doesn't look like it is baffeled so you will need to use your hand or fingers to tone it down. It also looked like your latex was to tight. I like a small arch in the latex but yours looked to much and too tight. Keep loosening the latex and trying until you get the sound your looking for. Maybe Pappy has some other tips for his tube call.

TRKYHTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th5ddMmgm0Q
This was a the very video I used in teaching myself it help tons and I still watch it and continue too practice and it takes a lot of practice keep it up I started out with clucks then moved to yelps and along the way I learned how to purr and control my tone and volume with different levels of rasp the tube is my favorite call don't give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God Bless the Outdoors