News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre-Season tradations

Started by Preacher, March 05, 2013, 08:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

PRE SEASON
1. Restock turkey vest with old/new gear (always end up buying something new every year even though I don't need to).
2. Place a couple extra calls/strikers in my truck.
3. Check & update first aid kit (I am extremely allergic to bees & always must have my bee sting kit) & thermacell components.

NIGHT BEFORE
1. Drive by my hunting areas and check to see if the gobblers are roosting where I expected.
2. Set up the coffee machine and lay out my gear before bed.
3. Fuel up my truck & check the fluids.
4. Have my daughters write whatever they want on one of my shells which I will use to harvest my first gobbler of the season (this is good luck & gets them involved in turkey hunting while their young) & if I eat tag soup, I retire it to a special box so that when they get older they can use it for their first hunt. This seems silly but I feel this is the most important thing I must do before the season starts & my daughters look forward & love doing it each year.

Good Luck Ladies & Gentlemen this season & God Bless.......

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 06, 2013, 08:33:34 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2013, 06:17:57 AM

Neglect everyone in my life that isn't a turkey hunter between now and June 1.

I've tried that, the wife usually don't like that too well. What's your secret? :p

I'm not married, SW. If you want to stay that way, I recommend ignoring my last "tradition." ;)

derek

A superstition of mine is getting a fresh haircut right before the season comes in.  It started quite a few years ago when I was younger and kept my hair to a much longer length.  I think the first turkey I killed I had just got it all cut off, and tagged out a few days after.  The next year I still had long hair at the start of turkey season.. after the first week or so of doing nothing but get beat up, I made the decision to go for the hair cut.. next morning in the woods a turkey died.  I just make sure its cut before the season now. 

I also use this time before the season comes in to collect 4 leaf clovers.. I try to have one for every tag I intend to fill and fold them up in my wallet next to each tag. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: derek on March 06, 2013, 02:11:45 PM
I also use this time before the season comes in to collect 4 leaf clovers.. I try to have one for every tag I intend to fill and fold them up in my wallet next to each tag.

Now that is a cool idea!

Skeeterbait

All the usual get the gear out check the sights, etc.  But I have a superstition I have been doing for close to 30 years now.  Each season I pick up the hulls used to kill a turkey that year and store them in my vest.  They stay in the vest till the following season.  Then when I kill a turkey that season, I then store that hull away and discard the previous years hulls.  So there is always successful hulls in my vest.  Kinda carrys the luck of the previous season over into the new season.

ThicketThrasher

I always clean the guns and start packing stuff into my vest. As of March 1st, any chance I get, I'm out in the mountains looking for sign and trying to find new places that I've never hunted. But the coolest thing I do is update all my Google Earth maps and draw new trails and logging roads on there and then print them off to use to help navigate me in my quest for that loaded up turkey hole way back in the mountains that nobody knows about.

jde

1.Check in with HR Dept on sick days and vacation available.
2.Make sure  favorite camo hadn't shrunk.
3.Locate super soft seat.
4.Run a few shells through favorite ole stick for a confidence builder.
5.Chalk find some chalk.
6.Reconfirm to self the diaphragm call  will chock the life out of ya.
7.Have honey do list complete or a very complacated reason why its not.

savduck

I have the usual running of all the calls to finalize my starting line up, but my tradition is I always run into at least one beaver dam. When ever I find one, I kill a turkey so I always pick up a chip and carry it in my vest until the following season when I find a new one.
Georgia Boy

Flydown

flintlock

I sharpen my fillet knife and lay a few pork loins in the freezer for the season.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

CT Spur Collector

Scout,scout,scout and then scout.

Wife knows the drill..................................she don't even ask anymore, too many years.

heathwesley

Quote from: budtripp on March 05, 2013, 09:33:40 PM
I usually:

Order new mouth calls, then proceed to annoy everyone in the house with them everyday.

Pick up another box of shells that I don't need, as I might shoot 2 rounds a year max and have enough to last me 20 years at least

Drool over custom pot calls in the classifieds (actually ordered another one for this season)

Check out the dsd website and try to find a way to fund a jake and hen (will do it someday, maybe when I get my tax return)

Buy another turkey hunting video and watch it over and over

Read all the posts of dead turkeys from the boys down south and try to contain my jealousy as my season doesn't start until mid April.

In no particular order
SCARY - X2  All the way down to the every year trying to fund a DSD.  I finally did get the jake last year - worth every penny.

budtripp

Quote from: heathwesley on March 08, 2013, 05:36:43 PM
I usually:

Order new mouth calls, then proceed to annoy everyone in the house with them everyday.

Pick up another box of shells that I don't need, as I might shoot 2 rounds a year max and have enough to last me 20 years at least

Drool over custom pot calls in the classifieds (actually ordered another one for this season)

Check out the dsd website and try to find a way to fund a jake and hen (will do it someday, maybe when I get my tax return)

Read all the posts of dead turkeys from the boys down south and try to contain my jealousy as my season doesn't start until mid April.

In no particular order
SCARY - X2  All the way down to the every year trying to fund a DSD.  I finally did get the jake last year - worth every penny.

Congrats, you are now ahead of me lol. Maybe, just maybe, this year I will pull the trigger on one.  :funnyturkey:

alclark2

Quote from: heathwesley on March 08, 2013, 05:36:43 PM
I usually:

In no particular order

Sums it up for me too for the most part.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

runngun

Pray, Pray and Pray some more
practice with all my calls
clean my guns
scout and scout some more
Spray all my clothes with permethrine and gas up the therma cell
PRAY AND PRAY SOME MORE
:cross2: :cross2: :cross2:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.