turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre-Season tradations

Started by Preacher, March 05, 2013, 08:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preacher

Any body besides me got any preseason rituals , habits,  or traditions?

Mine are:
1.  get the deer stuff out of my closet and bring the turkey stuff in.
2.  give my guns a good cleaning especially the barrel
3.  change the oil in my truck
4.  go though a process of getting use to mouth-calls with out gaging ( this is only in the last 4 years , but its here to stay)
5. take my wife out the night before the season starts , usually a nice seafood place.

What about you?
Romans 8:37

redarrow

Numbers 1 and 3 .And make a point to check that I haven't knocked my scope off since last year.

Aside from that how have you been Robin. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

budtripp

I usually:

Order new mouth calls, then proceed to annoy everyone in the house with them everyday.

Pick up another box of shells that I don't need, as I might shoot 2 rounds a year max and have enough to last me 20 years at least

Drool over custom pot calls in the classifieds (actually ordered another one for this season)

Check out the dsd website and try to find a way to fund a jake and hen (will do it someday, maybe when I get my tax return)

Buy another turkey hunting video and watch it over and over

Read all the posts of dead turkeys from the boys down south and try to contain my jealousy as my season doesn't start until mid April.

In no particular order

Devastator

I seem to run my "broke in" mouth calls till there death before the season gets here.Well,not this year,once i have a call to where i want it, they are going in the fridge till im ready to use them during the season.

marshboy

No real traditions for me, but it is good to see Preacher post!!
Greg

runngun

Welcome back Preacher, great to hear from you!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Preacher on March 05, 2013, 08:52:57 PM
Any body besides me got any preseason rituals , habits,  or traditions?

Mine are:
1.  get the deer stuff out of my closet and bring the turkey stuff in.
2.  give my guns a good cleaning especially the barrel
3.  change the oil in my truck
4.  go though a process of getting use to mouth-calls with out gaging ( this is only in the last 4 years , but its here to stay)
5. take my wife out the night before the season starts , usually a nice seafood place.

What about you?

You better take her to a nice restaurant more than once a year. BTW I send my buddies mouth calls before the season starts so they can gag on them. It's a tradition. LOL

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Jay

I got the oil changed yesterday, will clean the guns, and since I had my teeth yanked I just can't work the mouth calls that well, so don't have to practice. Don't have to butter up the wife, just take her hunting, which makes her happy. I run a checklist every year, so I make sure I've got everything ready to go on my trips.

WildSpur

I change my oil and air filters.  Always check my gun multiple times. 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

trippsims

1. Spend way too much money on calls, shells, and other doo-dads (new gun this year)
2. After duck season ends I get antsy about shooting at critters, squirrel hunting does the trick for a few weeks.
3. A week of teeth grinding and complaining.
4. Take my little brother opening day of youth and don't say shoot until I hear spittin' n drummin' (ideallly of course, I actually get way too excited about it and can't think :drool:)

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Re-polish barrels

Check zeroes/pattern

Run calls several times per week

Spend every weekend in the woods scouting

Watch turkey hunting non-stop

Neglect everyone in my life that isn't a turkey hunter between now and June 1.

BrowningGuy88

Get the turkey camo and vest out of the closet and condition all the calls.

Pattern the turkey guns to make sure everything is still okay.

Run my calls nightly much to my wife's dismay...

When I am not at work I am in the woods scouting and building ground blinds at strut zones.

And as VaTuRk said - if I am not at work, don't talk to me about anything other than turkey hunting until May 1!!!

Spring_Woods

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2013, 06:17:57 AM

Neglect everyone in my life that isn't a turkey hunter between now and June 1.

I've tried that, the wife usually don't like that too well. What's your secret? :p

About the only things I do is shoot my gun a couple times, gather up my gear to put in my tote, run a few calls, scout and daydream. :)
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

TauntoHawk

This year Im hoping to make taking my wife turkey hunting a tradition, she been out a few times with me but never on a trip..

Same as most..

look at 53,000 things I dont need to buy
Buy atleast half them
Play with them until even my dog thinks im crazy
get the gun, camo, and gear ready about 3 times
Wish I had off the entire months of April and May

My big Tradition before any hunting season is to prepare physically.. about 2 months before a hunting trip or major hunting season I hit the gym 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CASH

Making a music playlist on my iphone that pumps me up and drives anybody else with me crazy.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.