OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835

Started by devin4484, February 07, 2011, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devin4484

I just picked up one last week and Im really excited about shooting it.  It came with a kicks .670 in it.  I ordered a puregold and a jellyhead lastnight too.  Put a prodiamond scope on it also.  What kind of patterns can I be expecting with this setup.  Its got 24" barrel also.

Thanks 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jourdan_D

Just an FYI: buy a limbsaver screw in recoil pad for it.  you will thank me later......

Gobble!

Nice gun
What shells do u plan on using?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 07, 2011, 07:23:46 PM
Just an FYI: buy a limbsaver screw in recoil pad for it.  you will thank me later......

I will agree with that.   :wave:

Try some 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in either 6's or 7's and you should light it up.  

devin4484

I was gonna go with hevi 13 idk if i wanna go 3.5 or just use 3.  It will be 6 shot for sure.  LOL i've been told they kick like a mule.

Skeeterbait

They all kick like a mule.  I think you will find that all the chokes you listed will give you good even shot distribution.  The PG will likely give you the tighest pattern, followed by the Kicks and the JH.  That is the way it worked out for me in my 635's anyway.  Indian Creek gave me the tightest of all.  All gave me good 40 yard hunting patterns.  You will just have to decide for yourself how tight is tight enough.

VAHUNTER

my 835 with a Pure Gold .670 and a polished barrel is getting 238 at 40 in a 10"circle using Hevi13 2 1/4oz 3.5" #6's
Good things come to those who wait

st4wheel

LIMBHANGER

sugarray

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 07, 2011, 09:34:16 PM
my 835 with a Pure Gold .670 and a polished barrel is getting 238 at 40 in a 10"circle using Hevi13 2 1/4oz 3.5" #6's

If I was to go away from handloading TSS, this is what I would do.  I would lose pellet numbers, but still him them as hard.  This is a great combo.

devin4484

good info fella's keep it coming and good info vahunter too on polishing barrels!

mossy835

Definitely a limb saver if you are going to pattern it and you will! I have not found much that wont pattern well with mine but I am still testing it on different loads. I did compare the HM duck loads #4 with the Mag blend and I really feel either one will do the job for you. Good luck and enjoy it is a good gun.

devin4484

Quote from: mossy835 on February 08, 2011, 07:40:49 PM
Definitely a limb saver if youare going to pattern it and you will! I have not found much that wont pattern well with mine but I am still testing it on different loads. I did compare the HM duck loads #4 with the Mag blend and I really feel either one will do the job for you. Good luck and enjoy it is a good gun.

I will be getting one of these for sure!  Im gonna deep clean it tomorrow when i get home from work and hit the range with it this weekend.  Hopefully it shoots awesome and makes my step dad realize that his 835 isn't performing like it should.  I cant get him to put in an aftermarket choke in it (still uses factory xfull) and federal flitecontrol no.5's

paturkeyhntr

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 07, 2011, 07:49:19 PM
Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 07, 2011, 07:23:46 PM

I will agree with that.   :wave:

Try some 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in either 6's or 7's and you should light it up.  

I have 2 835's and use Jellyhead chokes and Hevi #6.  I tried the stock choke, kicks, indian creek and jellyhead.  Jellyhead worked best with Hevi #6.  No other shells even came close to the pattern with the HS...

devin4484

Im ready to try it out for sure, just got the other two chokes today.  C'mon and hurry weekend im ready for some 50 degree weather.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase