Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 535 with a 28" barrel ..... what choke?

Started by jrmcclure, March 03, 2013, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrmcclure

iv got a mossberg 535 with a 28" barrel and was considering buying an aftermarket choke tube. if any one shoots a 535 with a long barrel, what kind of choke and results are you getting? iv considered a truglo ssx,but im afraid it may be to tight out of a barrel that long. I'll be shooting hevi-13 #5's, #6's or magnum blends.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jrmcclure on March 03, 2013, 04:14:53 PM
iv got a mossberg 535 with a 28" barrel and was considering buying an aftermarket choke tube. if any one shoots a 535 with a long barrel, what kind of choke and results are you getting? iv considered a truglo ssx,but im afraid it may be to tight out of a barrel that long. I'll be shooting hevi-13 #5's, #6's or magnum blends.

I've had 3 of those guns, the first was the short-barrelled gun with the thumb-hole stock. A friend really wanted that one, so I passed it along to him. Then I got 2 more, both with the 2-barrell set, short and long, 28" barrels, billed as the turkey & waterfowl guns. Another friend wanted one, so that one went away but I plan on keeping the last one.

I like the performance of the 28" barrel and don't find it to be too long or get in the way, although I know many prefer the shorter barrels.

The Hevi-13 choke, the Wright's #2, the SSX, the Pure Gold Tempest and the JEB's all do well with that gun. Those all different designs but all do well that gun.

As you know, it's a light gun but I find it comfortable to shoot. Mine have all had good triggers and pattern well with Hevi-13 "Bronze" 3" shells with #6, #7 or Magnum Blend shells. I much prefer the standard load shells to the MB and that's really all about recoil and not necessarily performance, they all pattern well.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore before taking it to the range. All 3 of mine have needed that procedure and it's also allowed me to see the bores very clearly. They were all quite good by the way.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."