OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beretta Xtrema 2 HELP!!!

Started by batsonbe, March 01, 2013, 05:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batsonbe

I have a Beretta Xtrema 2 26" barrel that i cant get to throw a good pattern out of. With turkey season right around the corner I need to get this thing shooting good ASAP! I have deep cleaned the barrel and cleaned the barrel with a patch after each shot. So far i have shot the JH .660, Rhino .660, and just recently (today) the hyped up Hevi-13 choke .671. I have shot these chokes all at 40 yards with 3.5 2.25 #6 and 3.5 2.25 #7 Hevi-shot. Today when i shot the Hevi-13 choke with 7's i got less than 200 in a 10" circle at 40yards. When i patterned all these shells and choke combos it was out of a Caldwell Lead Sled because I was hoping to take the human error out of patterning it. What shell / choke combo should i try? Im open to any advice, and i appreciate the help guys!

Longshanks

How big was the peice of paper you shot? i would shoot at least 3' x3' or even 6' x 6' if you can..to make sure it's not just the POI/POA being off.  The hevi choke .671 will turn 220's out of my X2 with 3.5/ 2.25/6's hevi if you are looking for another load.  If you you are seeing the whole pattern on the board and that combo turning only 200 with 7's I would take it to the gunsmith to have everything checked out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: batsonbe on March 01, 2013, 05:57:12 PM
I have a Beretta Xtrema 2 26" barrel that i cant get to throw a good pattern out of. With turkey season right around the corner I need to get this thing shooting good ASAP! I have deep cleaned the barrel and cleaned the barrel with a patch after each shot. So far i have shot the JH .660, Rhino .660, and just recently (today) the hyped up Hevi-13 choke .671. I have shot these chokes all at 40 yards with 3.5 2.25 #6 and 3.5 2.25 #7 Hevi-shot. Today when i shot the Hevi-13 choke with 7's i got less than 200 in a 10" circle at 40yards. When i patterned all these shells and choke combos it was out of a Caldwell Lead Sled because I was hoping to take the human error out of patterning it. What shell / choke combo should i try? Im open to any advice, and i appreciate the help guys!

One of the better chokes, especially for folks having a hard time getting patterns with those guns, has been the Wright's #3 with a .650 exit diameter and 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. The #7 shot will work as well and so will the 3.5" shells in either shot size.

Stu Wright has worked with Beretta shotguns for many years and his designs just work with them.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

batsonbe

I shot at a piece of cardboard that was 26"x35" point of impact compared to point of aim was to the right. Thank yall for your advice. I'll definitely look into you alls advice!

Longshanks

Clark, what kind of numbers are you seeing out of the wrights #3 .650 and the Beretta Xtrema 2 with Hevi 6's, 7's? What will this choke do with Pb? If it shoots lead well, I may buy one from you. I have yet to find a choke that shoots lead effectively out of my Xtrema or Urika.

spaightlabs

This may not make ya feel a ton better, but I'd guess there isn't a turkey out there that will walk away from 200 in the 10 if you do your job...

batsonbe

I didn't even count it because it looked so bad, but if i can't get a better pattern out of it before turkey season I'll just stick with my Ole Mathews.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Longshanks on March 01, 2013, 07:57:46 PM
Clark, what kind of numbers are you seeing out of the wrights #3 .650 and the Beretta Xtrema 2 with Hevi 6's, 7's? What will this choke do with Pb? If it shoots lead well, I may buy one from you. I have yet to find a choke that shoots lead effectively out of my Xtrema or Urika.

That choke design just works so well with the Beretta guns. Depending upon temps but 200 is not uncommon with 3" H-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. What has been appreciated so much however is the density and evenness of the patterns. It also does exceptionally well with the White Lightning #6 lead shells, again even and dense patterns. Before the WL shells most shooters were using the 3" Winchester HV shells with #6 lead, either in 3" or 3.5" versions. All patterns have been best in guns with 26" or longer barrels of course.

Thanks,
Clark

Longshanks

Thanks Clark, I may have to look into the Wrights choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Longshanks on March 03, 2013, 08:38:24 PM
Thanks Clark, I may have to look into the Wrights choke.

You're welcome. They work very well for a lot of hunters.

Thanks,
Clark

land cruiser

Exact same configuration you have as far as hardware. Rhino choke and NitroAmmo. Works superbly.

ericjames

I shot the jellyhead .660 in mine with good luck I was getting in the 220 range With 3.5 mag blends

SumToy

Shoot it a 50 feet to check POA/POI with junk shells (8 or 9)   Then move to 40 shoot it and see what you got.  650 to 665 rang should work fine in that gun.  You have a few to pick from.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Longshanks

Quote from: batsonbe on March 01, 2013, 05:57:12 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I have turned excellent patterns out of my Xtrema with the JH .660 and the Hevi 13 3/2/6's and Nitro 3.5/2.25/4x5x7's.  If the POA/POI is ok you could give either of those two loads a try.  Xtrema was definately finicky when it came to shell/ choke combo's.  The Hevi .671 turned 333 with 3.5/2.25/7's after polishing and getting the POA/POI correct. My Xtrema had the biggest issues of any turkey gun i have when it comes to getting the POA/POI correct. Every turkey choke I put in it created problems even though the POA/POI is on with factory chokes. Couldnt figure out why that is.. :anim_25:

batsonbe

I actually just got done reexamining my pattern paper right before i got on and it appears that i got in between 150-170. Only the estimation part because my circle came out to be more like a square. lol The shot appeared to very open, and was very spotty. In the past the targets i patterned my xtrema with i didn't pay any attention to whether or not it shot exactly where i aimed, but i payed particular attention to POI this time and it appears that my gun shoots to the right and low. As stated in previous post i had deep cleaned my barrel as well as my choke. I do have a Primos JH .660 and a Rhino .660. Since the price of Hevi-shot keeps increasing i am debating on investing in some Nitros simply because i'm not guaranteed that any other particular choke will pattern decent. The money i spend on another choke could be almost 10 shells from nitro and they have already done the testing for me and will back up their product. Lots to consider before i make another purchase.