OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Giving them something different

Started by shootumindaface, March 05, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampy

I think scenario's play a big role in the concept of bird's answering only to certain calls. He might be with hen's and not gobbling 5 minutes later he might be alone when your holding another call. I've saw tom's multiple times literally running full bore down roads in areas where turkey habitat is broken up. They were simply leaving one area going to the next. Maybe they didnt hear your first call's a few minutes later they can hear you. I do also agree sometimes frequency along with aggressiveness will trigger bird's when other tone's and sequence's will not.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

siyakadog

I hunt w a guy who has been hunting turkeys since the early 70's, he uses 2 calls one is an original lynch 101.  He calls in plenty every year w the Lynch, last year I woul call if turkeys wouldn't repspond to his, I would try my Crystal Mistress and wam they would cutt you off.  So I alwasys been a fan of having multiple calls in my vest.    Just never know what will spark them that day, I've heard some pretty nasty sounding hens that toms would gobble back too.

Reloader

It all depends on the bird.  I've been on toms that wouldn't gobble at certain calls, but would really fire up on others.  I swap between slate, glass, and aluminum quite a bit as well as many different strikers.  They all have a diff tone and some toms like one more than another.  I use aluminum alot and admit it's much higher pitched than slate or glass, but many toms eat it up.

I agree with the post on hens sounding diff, it's no diff than mallard hens.  Some hens sound terrible, but I bet they get as much romance as the others.

I called in a tom last year that sounded like he was choking on an acorn when he gobbled. 

gunnerj

Buy the calls to have something to play with. Use the calls and get good with them. Every so often, use a change up. I'm using several calls at the same time. Mouth, slate, and box, a couple boxes or a couple strikers, find what they want and get them in. It's all in the pitch of the boss hen.

hoyt

Back about 9 or 10 yrs ago I bought a long box call that was suppose to be "the different sound" paid about $80 for it and never had any luck with it. Doug Camp's Screaming Hen. Sounds good has a different high pitch. Has anybody used it and had luck with it? If so I may take it out of retirement.

SouthEastNC

"And if this call is so effective why not just begin with the "different" call and kill him day one.."

Spaulding, this calls for the old Billy Baroo - Judge Smails
Go Heels, Go America

NECKRINGER

in my extreme rookie experince we are slowly working 2 things together here...
gettin a bird to shock gobble vs calling him to the gun or working him.

you could be working a bird with and old $#%^ box call. The bird may not gobble everytime but may show intrest by drumming or going upright and looking ur way.
Throwing in a series from a boat paddle may get him to sound off but may not have changed the direction of the turkey or anything for that matter.

I could be sitting next to some one that has been slowly working a birds across a field with soft clucks and purs and pull out a boat air horn and get him to fir off numerous times. However I dont think he wants to breed the airhorn and shall continue on to the sounds of the sweet hen....

Now if there is any call or caller that can consistantly call a gobbler off 6 hens by consistant I mean 90%+ of the time and get him to break from the hens and get  within 35 yds for facial accupuncture Im all ears

NECKRINGER

easier said.....
you cant compare a bird answering to a bird committing. 2 totally different things.
if and when you do switch and the bird answers you would then need to call him to the gun everytime for these statements to prove true...
if a bird gobblin to you over ur buddys call makes u happy just carry a coaches wistle.
;~)