OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey gun

Started by nickhrp, February 26, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I have a 20 inch 835 and love it for hunting. The 24 inch 835 that it replaced was a little more fun to shoot at paper though. I was in for a surprise the first time I squeezed off a magblend out of this 20 inch gun. To quote my oldest daughter "that thing is like a bomb going off". Now I have named it the Thunder Stick. In my opinion get the 835 and have money left over.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

nickhrp

I decided to go with the 870 it fully camo and thumb hole stock with tru-glo red dot scope but what's a good choke to start with because I don't want to go through with what I did with my benelli 400$ gun with about 400$ worth of choke trying to get a desired pattern at a decent distance
God Bless the Outdoors

BrowningGuy88

Most folks on here use a Jellyhead 660 or 665. Sumtoy, Pure Gold, Kicks, Indian Creek - any of those should work.

nickhrp

Got it now I can't wait for season to start
God Bless the Outdoors

zeke632

Sweet !  Cant go wrong with an 870.  It would have been my choice too. I had a 835 and I just didnt care for it.
Good luck with it.

mebe007

im running a .665 jelly head and 3.5 mag blends in my 870. i polished my barrel to a mirror finish. Jb bore bright, scotch brite, kroil, cleaning rod and 20ga brush do wonders.

love these guns

captin_hook

Nice buy! Give the HD choke that came with it a try. It patterned pretty good out of mine with hevi 13, 3-2-6.

redleg06

I've got that exact guy but put a Mueller red dot on it and a Pure Gold .670 choke and have LOVED it for the last 2 seasons!

nickhrp

I'm excited to put it to use
God Bless the Outdoors

870FaceLift

Good choice - I love the camo and the steadygrip!  Looks great!  I have both guns you were considering and would buy the 870 again in heartbeat.  If you ever move onto something else in terms of a turkey gun, you can strip and modify that 870.  There area so many aftermarket options for that gun.  My 870 converted from a turkey slayer to a tactical home defense shotgun when I switched to my new setup(s).
Pass it on...

nickhrp

I'm already looking into a slug barrel for it my old one I had years ago I got a slug barrel for it so I could go to Illinois for a hunt and it was easy to swap out I really missed the ease and versatility of the 870 that's the main reason I went back to it plus parts are easy to get and affordable even though the ones I had in the past never malfunctioned on but you never know
God Bless the Outdoors

M R Ducks

The 835 has a 10 gauge barrel mated to a 12 gauge receiver.  It will pattern large shot and large payloads more easily (less trial and error with chokes, etc.) than the 870.

However, I just can't buy a pump that isn't an 870.....

Ducks