OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey gun

Started by nickhrp, February 26, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickhrp

I'm going to buy a new turkey gun tommorow I'm caught between 870 super mag mossy oak with thumb hole stock or mossberg 835 both have 20 inch barrels and 3-1/2 inch what do y'all think got 750$ and want a pump
God Bless the Outdoors

irishff727

I use to own a 835 and loved it. Never used it for birds but did some hog hunting and duck hunting with it and never ha a single issue

Hooksnhorns

Both are great guns. IMHO I'd go with at least a 23" bbl. Get you a good choke (jh660 or ssx for the 870) and maybe a jh or if you can find a star dot for the mossy. Id also try h-13 #7 in either one. Good luck.
Don't Tread On Me

MikeStaten

I don't have too much experience with the 835, but I suggest you shoot a friend's before you buy it.  Not sure if it just doesn't fit me well but when I shot a friend's gun it seemed to kick really bad relative to others I've shot. 

chatterbox

Love my 835. Great gun. Very easy to get good patterns quickly.
Never shot an 870, but it has a strong following as well. Best of luck in your decision.

nickhrp

I heard the 835 kicked like a one eyed bucking mule but it patterned well past 35 with mediocre chokes and real well with Indian creek and kicks but just like the look and feel of the 870 but none of my people have one in a 3-1/2 inch and didn't know how it patterned at long distance all I know is my benelli nova sucks past 35 and to the right and I got as much if not more in chokes for and still can't get it to do well past the 35 mark had friends shoot it and they got the same result as me and I don't like the long barrel on it
God Bless the Outdoors

irishff727

I didn't notice the kick to much to be honest I feel my 1300 kicks harder than my 835 did

captin_hook

Love a 870. I have three of them. I just don't care for mossberg very much. In my opinion its a no brainer.....870.

gob09

the 870 is a very good turkey gun I personally think they more picky about choke load combo to get good patterns but  good luck with your search
I had an 835 it thrower very good patterns but recoiled extremely hard I got rid of it and bought a 935 same great pattern half the recoil

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

grousec

I saw an ad where the new 835 Ultra Mag Turkey now features the Matthew's Harmonic Damper Technology.  Ad says reduces recoil up to 20%.  That might just make this great shooting gun an even greater gun if you like pumps.  I personally don't like any pump, but I have a 935 turkey that I only use for turkey hunting and love.

jerf

I had the moss. with 20 in barrel and it loved the hevi shot  3.5 #7 shot averaged in the 320's in the 10 at 40 yards with an indian creek .675 tube.

nickhrp

Thanks for all the help guys
God Bless the Outdoors

Mike Honcho

I have several turkey guns but the best patterning is my Mossy 835, 24" ported.

DirtNap647

835 my opinion plus little money left over to put towards extras walmart sells the 835 with a 24" barrel for i believe 330 you may want to check that out unless your set on the smaller barrel ;)

lowoctane

Turkey gun? 835, camo, 23 or 24" barrel, put a red dot or low power scope on it AND a Sims recoil pad. Deep clean the barrel and use a JellyHead .690 choke and shoot Hevi-Shot 13 in 7's.

Or, 870, camo, 21 or 24" barrel, red dot or low power scope, should come with a great soft recoil pad.
Deep clean the barrel and use a Tru-Glo SSX .655 choke and shoot Hevi-Shot 13 in 7's.

Personally, I prefer a 3" gun, but you requested 3.5"... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life