OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alternative to Hevi-13?

Started by Cutt, February 25, 2013, 01:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 25, 2013, 03:22:16 PMI will spend a lot more on ice than I do on shells...

:agreed:

There you have it right there.  Hevi is cheap compared to countless bags of ice in the cooler.   :toothy12:

You can get away with shooting field loads to see if a new choke tube changes your point of impact v. point of aim, or to sight in a red dot or aftermarket fiber optic sights.  That will get you close, then pull the trigger on the hevi to fine tune.

But to your original point -- you said in your o.p. that last year you already fine tuned with Hevi 3.5 #6, and you also stated the price jump went from $19 / box to $28 / box.

If you are already dialed in from last year, and need another box to fill the elastic holders in your turkey vest, the difference is about $9, or five bags of ice.   ;D

If you want to mess with loads and chokes during the off season, split the cost with a buddy or two, swap chokes and loads, that always helps keep the cost down.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Xcal1ber

My practice arrows do not have the wraps, lighted nock, or broadhead on them either.. And I wont reuse the same broadhead after I kill a deer, and unless the arrow is in good condition, I won't reuse it (it usually is in good condition).. You can shoot whatever shell you want, but I want to shoot a shell that I know will get the job done 100% of the time if I do my part.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

01Foreman400

It's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

bawana

01Foreman400

TauntoHawk

if you look at them as just another shell to fire its crazy expensive.. if you look at them as a vital piece of gear that helps you fill your tags and create memories each season they are freakin STEAL  :fud: :fud: :fud:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cutt

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 07, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
if you look at them as just another shell to fire its crazy expensive.. if you look at them as a vital piece of gear that helps you fill your tags and create memories each season they are freakin STEAL  :fud: :fud: :fud:

That's my point, turkey hunting to me is also shooting my gun before the Season, with the shells I intend to hunt with. I've done this for years, just as I do for Archery I shoot, I don't just hunt. On average I'd run an average of 30 -50 shells before the Season, just for the fact to shoot, "With The Shells I Hunt With".

The guys saying Hevi is cheap, are just probably shooting a few shells a year for hunting, agreed cheap. Go out and pop off 5 or 6 boxes at 30.00 0r more a box, I can't see where thats cheap?

01Foreman400

Quote from: Cutt on March 10, 2013, 09:09:51 AM

That's my point, turkey hunting to me is also shooting my gun before the Season, with the shells I intend to hunt with. I've done this for years, just as I do for Archery I shoot, I don't just hunt. On average I'd run an average of 30 -50 shells before the Season, just for the fact to shoot, "With The Shells I Hunt With".

The guys saying Hevi is cheap, are just probably shooting a few shells a year for hunting, agreed cheap. Go out and pop off 5 or 6 boxes at 30.00 0r more a box, I can't see where thats cheap?

I do this during crow, rabbit goose and duck season. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Cheap HTL alternative:

Try the #6 Federal Turkey Thugs.  $10 per 10 shells at Wal-Mart.  They only stock Turkey shells seasonaly, so get them now.  I got 140 in 10" at 40 Yards at 73 Degrees yesterday, with a gun that never has shot big Lead numbers.  I tried 5 chokes, and they all threw nice patterns.

spaightlabs

. Go out and pop off 5 or 6 boxes at 30.00 0r more a box, I can't see where thats cheap?

That ain't cheap.  Or necessary.

stinkpickle

It certainly sucks all the fun out of practicing with them.