OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best wood striker for slate and glass pot

Started by turkeystrut, February 20, 2013, 08:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeystrut

Guys,what is the best wood striker  that you wouldn;t  leave home with  out  for slate,glass ,crystal  pots ? :thanks:
gotta love the outdoors!

captin_hook

For me its hickory. It plays well for me on just about any surface. I always have a hickory with me. 2nd would be rosewood.

Chris Downs

hickory is a great all around striker, but i really like purpleheart for slate and glass/crystal calls.

paboxcall

Hickory is hard to beat, but rarely carry one.  I have a couple favorites for glass and slate, both whittled by hand.  The first is osage and the second is maple.  I wouldn't trade anything for those two strikers.

A very close third is walnut, I love the sound of purrs and clucks on a small slate with a walnut striker.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

callmakerman

Snakewood and diamond wood. They both seem to run very well on all surfaces.

scoot12

Purpleheart for glass and slate and also diamondwood for both,  a diamondwood will bring out the rasp more and the purpleheart a little cleaner sound.  Scoot

longhorn

I agree with Scoot but would add black locust.

WillowRidgeCalls

I wouldn't set foot into the woods without a Dymondwood, Purpleheart, Blk Locust, Olivewood and a Chechen. Those 5 will play on any surface in a pot call.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lonnie sneed jr.

For me, on my slates it always red wood in corn cob, and willow in a corn cob, and a two piece oak. Glass for me is two piece oak, oak in a corn cob, and hickory in a corn cob. Somehow I have hung onto my willow and red wood strikers over 30 years. Been lucky not to have lost at least one of them.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pauld

BrowningGuy88

Give me a hickory, rosewood, and purpleheart! I will take those three and any pot and make it run!

Gold Spur

If I had to pick only one, it would be hickory.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!