OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 12ga Super Mag Choke Question

Started by clfergus, March 23, 2020, 08:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

Been a couple of years since I have been hunting and came across a like new Camo 870 Super Mag with a 26 inch barrel. This will be a bird gun that I will do some upland hunting with but it has me eager to get out and hunt for the Turkeys I saw during deer season.  A few years back I recall the advice being the Primos Jellyhead and HS. Undertaker for inexpensive but good options.

This still ring true? I will be using the left over longbeard 3" loads I have from a couple of years ago.

lowoctane

:morning:
The jellyhead seems to work better for me with my LB 3x6's, but do try both of them! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

jmart241

Mine did good with JH never tried the other

Turkeytider

Cowboy

I use a jelly head choke in my mossberg 835. Shoots longbeard #6 great. However I just bought a carlson's longbeard xr for my 870 20 gauge and I'm amazed with this combo. It increased by 3 times the number of hits in the head and neck.

captpete

I have the original Jelly head choke tube in .660 & .665. The patterns are pretty much the same out of my 870 Special Purpose Mag. I also have the H.S. Undertaker(.665), but don't remember how it patterned. Right now I'm using a Carlson .670 non-ported tube(about $35) & shooting Longbeard 5's. They were way to tight for me at 15 yards with either of the Jelly head chokes....pattern is about the size of a baseball. Using the .670 it is about the size of a cantaloupe. The 40 yard pattern is still a very solid hunting pattern. I have not tried the new Jelly Head Max tube. It is designed a little different than the originals. Here is a post from Clark...allaboutshooting here on OG, from about a year ago:

"The major difference is in the "internal geometry" of the choke tube. It is still a conical/parallel design but hey lengthened both the taper and the parallel sections. The ports are a bit longer and thinner and they eliminated the knurling at the muzzle. They coated it with a very tough material to prevent rust. All in all it's a more finely made choke than the original

I suspect that the "Black T" coating requires more break-in time than the original blued choke and that may account for folks not having the results they expected.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark"

Here is thread from a few weeks ago about the new Jelly Head Max: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,96562.msg949182.html#msg949182