OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Haint, Thunder Gobble, Hale Fire

Started by K9Doc, February 13, 2013, 09:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking to learn a new Gobble Call: Quick Poll

Haint by Down'N'Dirty
Thunder Gobble by Flextone
Hale Fire by Knight & Hale
Shaker/Gobble Tube
Diaphragm or Tube call

K9Doc

I'm looking at buying a new gobble call. I have used a shaker call for years, with mixed results.
Lets get some poll results. Please ONLY Vote if you actually have and know how to use one of the calls listed.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Old Gobbler

QB - Jake Gobbler , with water poured down the call -- keep in a ziplock
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

K9Doc

Seriously?  I have one that I usually carry.
I will have to give it a try!  LOL!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

jblackburn

NOT the thunder gobble!  Shaker calls sound better!  The best gobbling I have heard has been from a diaphragm.  That said, I CANNOT figure out how to do it!  I have a pretty good voice gobble, sounds like a Rio/Merriams and I have gobbled in birds by doing it.  In fact, my May 30 Kansas bird would not have been killed if I had not gobbled at him.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

TauntoHawk

I can gobble better on a mouth call than I can using the Hale fire I have, its just not as loud.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lock1nout

:TrainWreck1:
Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 13, 2013, 09:41:17 PM
QB - Jake Gobbler , with water poured down the call -- keep in a ziplock

what does this do?

Clay

I bought a Haint last year because I was eager to go to a more durable alternative than a shaker and was hoping to have a more flexible and realistic sound.  What I found is that I should have just set my $40 on fire and thrown it out the window - would have ended up with just as much money missing from my wallet, but less frustration.  The Haint was very difficult to get working and then was VERY volume sensative.  If you blow too hard on it, the think shuts down and you just get a squack vs. a gobble.  Absolutely the worst purchase I've made in years....  my $0.02..

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Clay on February 15, 2013, 03:41:54 PM
I bought a Haint last year because I was eager to go to a more durable alternative than a shaker and was hoping to have a more flexible and realistic sound.  What I found is that I should have just set my $40 on fire and thrown it out the window - would have ended up with just as much money missing from my wallet, but less frustration.  The Haint was very difficult to get working and then was VERY volume sensative.  If you blow too hard on it, the think shuts down and you just get a squack vs. a gobble.  Absolutely the worst purchase I've made in years....  my $0.02..

Clay,
   I have heard numerous people give reviews similar to yours.  I have also heard the call played by one of the guys at D&D.  Like anything that produces sound, there is a technique involved to make it sound like the creator of the "instrument" intended.  I have had folks walk up and pick up a pot call off of my table at a show and make some of the most horrid sounds you could imagine.  That said, I had a competition caller walk up and start running kee-kee runs on one of my aluminum calls that I could never begin to produce on my own calls.  My daughter plays flute in band.  I can't imagine what it would sound like if I picked it up and blew across the sound hole.  However, she can run scales and sound like an instructional recording. 
   My point is this... the Haint call is known to have a fairly steep learning curve.  I'm getting ready to start trying to beat that curve myself. (Wish me luck.  ;) )  If I can't figure it out, the guy at D&D that I spoke with on the phone said to give him a call and he would help me try to get it figured out.  If you haven't used yours for a boat anchor yet, you might give them a call if you want to try it again.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Clay

Hey lightsout,  wishing you all the luck in the world my friend!  I sure hope you have more luck than I did.  I've been able to pick up all manner of diaphragm, pot, box, goose, duck, etc. with a little bit of effort and dose of stick-to-it-ness, but that blasted Haint bested me..  Hope you nail it!

Devastator

Took me awhile on the haint but i finally got it to sound pretty good.I almost gave up on it also.Had some fun with it last spring.

StruttinGobbler3

If you can learn to use this call, its hands down the most realistic gobble call on the market. It took me a couple months to master this call, but its worth the effort.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

chrisg2709

I have on of the shakers and dont like to make all the motion it takes to use it. I recently bought the haint and it is difficult at first. In my opinion nothing comes close to the power and sound of a haint, especially if it's in the right hands.

rotalley

I have a haint, tube calls, and multiple gobble shakers and my opinion nothing comes close to the haint.