OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who shoots what?

Started by birdyhunter, February 15, 2013, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zkid09

I'm shootin a Hoyt rampage xt, nap apache rest, hha OL5510, dead end archery 10" stabilizer. With weights it's right at 12". Cat whiskers, red d loop, black dark green and red wrist sling, Easton flatline surgical 400s with 125 gr slick tricks. 62#, 26.5" draw, 73% letoff..
Before sight change, stab weight and whiskers

birdyhunter

The xts are nice bows man. If you don't mind me asking, why the 125 gr tricks up front? With such a light setup and short dl you would probably pick up 10-15 fps by dropping down to the 85 gr and more than likely shoot better groups.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

jblackburn

PSE firestorm lite, cheap truglo sights (I really would like an upgrade here), old winn free flight release, redhead carbon arrows, magnus bullheads for birds, magnus buzzcuts for bucks
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Mike Honcho

Mathews Switchback, Apex Gear Sight, Quality Archery Designs drop away rest. Alpine Bear Claw quiver. Beeman Hunter Elite 340gn

30_06

Bowtech Guardian 60lbs, Easton St Epic 340 arrows, 2" Grim Reaper Razortips or Gobbler Guillotines, QAD HD rest, 7" Octane stabilizer with two end weights.

J Hook

Currently using my Journeyman R&D Longbow.58# at 28" shooting full length Easton Axis FMJ, with a 200 gain VPA 4 bladed head.
King Wood Riser,with King Wood Veneers under clear Glass limbs,with action boo limb cores.

birdyhunter

Quote from: J Hook on February 18, 2013, 07:17:20 AM
Currently using my Journeyman R&D Longbow.58# at 28" shooting full length Easton Axis FMJ, with a 200 gain VPA 4 bladed head.
King Wood Riser,with King Wood Veneers under clear Glass limbs
very nice! I have been debating going traditional this year as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

lmbhngr

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

irishff727

Bear done deal with sword apex 3 sight and throphy ridge revo rest. Gold tip hunter xt 5575 with g5 montec. Just recently got into it but I am already hooked hoping the bear will last me a few seasons

insert witty saying here

birdyhunter

Quote from: WyoHunter on February 18, 2013, 07:28:07 PM
Mathews Conquest 3
still have mine from about 8 years ago. Probably the most accurate bow ever made.

birdyhunter

Quote from: irishff727 on February 18, 2013, 07:30:43 PM
Bear done deal with sword apex 3 sight and throphy ridge revo rest. Gold tip hunter xt 5575 with g5 montec. Just recently got into it but I am already hooked hoping the bear will last me a few seasons

insert witty saying here
man keep your strings waxed and replace them every 2-3 years and it will last as long as you want it to. I never shoot the same bow for long but that's just because I'm to curious about other bows lol. I trade bows on archerytalk like there's no tomorrow.

budtripp

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 15, 2013, 10:26:30 PM
Didn't mean it wasn't anymore lol, just meant when it was new it was top of the line! Like I said my dad still shoots his as his primary bow.

The LX was my first serious hunting bow, bought when they came out in 2003 I was 17. Killed a few deer with that ol bad boy then got the urge to try something else Lol.

Currently I'm shooting:

Hoyt vector turbo @ 62lbs 29" draw
easton acc pro hunter 390's
spott hogg hunter hogg it
stokerized 7" camo hunter stab
broadhead, well it varies day to day.

For deer last year I shot rage titaniums, shuttle t locks and rocket sidewinders. For turkeys I usually like rocket hammerheads but I have found myself with a lot of rage 2 blades so they will get the nod this season. For deer next year I traded for a pack f exodus heads and I can't wait to try them out

tomtamer25

Mathews Helim, QAD, Extreme sights
Easton FMJ with Rage for deer
Gold Tip with Gobbler Guillotines for turkeys.

zkid09

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 15, 2013, 10:57:39 PM
The xts are nice bows man. If you don't mind me asking, why the 125 gr tricks up front? With such a light setup and short dl you would probably pick up 10-15 fps by dropping down to the 85 gr and more than likely shoot better groups.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry bud, been out of town. I'm a 26.5" draw and shooting 61-62# so I need a fairly weak arrow. The 500s were too weak 400s too stiff. Seems like I needed a .418 spine to be perfect or something. Forget actual numbers but a 400 spine with the 125gr tip weakened it up enough to be almost perfect with a 27" arrow.
For some reason this bow was super finicky about spine to shoot a broadhead well. It'll group muzzy, slick tricks, strikers and a few others at 60 yards now though !