OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Remember the old days, when people just went huntin'?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 14, 2013, 10:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

And weren't after anything in particular....just whatever they saw that they wanted to eat?

Some high brass #4, 5, 6, or 7.5's and a shotgun.

BrowningGuy88

Not really, but I am only 23 so...

I do remember going out with my grandfather as a little tike and him carrying his double barrel with buckshot in one barrel and bird shot in the other so if we flushed quail or deer he could shoot either.

stinkpickle

It's a good thing we now have TV shows to show us how to do it.   :TooFunny:

frank1969

R AJ

I am 63 now but my dad told me of dove shoots during or right after WWII when they might have #2s,4s, or whatever they had or could get their hands on. Since deer and turkey weren't that plentiful in the late 40s- early 60s people went afield to get birds, rabbits, squirrel, or whatever with their single barrels, doubles, few pumps and occasional semi-autos. My dad had a 2 3/4" Browning 1938 semi-auto with 28" bbl , fixed modified choke and a false vent rib that consisted of squiggly lines down the receiver and top of the barrel.
It was used for dove, quail, turkey and deer. One gun served him well and patterns were something in the dress shop.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 14, 2013, 10:57:07 AM
It's a good thing we now have TV shows to show us how to do it.   :TooFunny:

isn't that the truth,some people wouldn't have a clue,some never will
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ericjames

We still have a few folks around here like that.. they say the only seasons they know is salt and pepper.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteWe still have a few folks around here like that.. they say the only seasons they know is salt and pepper.

They ain't huntin' fer sport, they be huntin' fer support!!!

ericjames

Yep.. these are older gentelmen that I could careless if they do it or not. I think one of them started slacking off a little last year.I heard he got down beside a tree and could'nt get back up off the ground and his son had to take off work and come look for him..

20and44s

As I read this post I couldn't help but chuckle ! I joined old gobbler for one reason to make my 20 shoot as good as my friends 3.5 12 and I have done that with much help from the 20s forum . I went rabbit hunting with one of my much older friends , I did some bragging about my shotgun and how well it shoots then as we started out the door he opened this old box of shells and dumped out a mix of brand and shot size and says to me these will work just fine !!!! :drool:
20and44s