OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2-3/4" 12 Gauge Loads?

Started by Swamphunter, February 13, 2013, 04:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamphunter

So I have this 1100 synthetic with a new tactical barrel and extra full Remington choke (not super full) that I am going to use this year.  The gun has a 2-3/4" chamber so what lead loads do you recommend and why? 

Same question for a Stevens 311C double barrel with fixed full and modified barrels?

Have at it boys (and girls if that fits) :thanks:

BrowningGuy88

I shoot Winchester HV 1.5 ounce #6's out of my Model 12 with a 30" Full choke barrel when it goes hunting.

The Winchester lead loads are hard to beat, but Federal used to load 1 5/8 ounce #6's in a 2.75" shell. Those would be nice to try too.

surehuntsalot

those old Federal 1-5/8 shells were some bad loads if you could find some,but Winchester still makes a 2-3/4" 1-5/8 load that is bad to the bone also
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

The Win loads as mentioned and a magnum #7.5 nickel -plated load from Fiocchi are good. I have tried the NWTF Federal 2 3/4 #6 load and have not found a choke combo it likes. Going to try xfull or mod next as the tight 655 doesn't do well. It kicks like a mule at 1450 fps or so.
Old Rem loads were good but I haven't tried those in years.

The pre FCW Federal shells were strong in 2 3/4 as well. I favor #6 and 7.5 over 4s or 5s in the 2 3/4" shell.

dawei

Quote from: Swamphunter on February 13, 2013, 04:10:53 PM
So I have this 1100 synthetic with a new tactical barrel and extra full Remington choke (not super full) that I am going to use this year.  The gun has a 2-3/4" chamber so what lead loads do you recommend and why? 

Same question for a Stevens 311C double barrel with fixed full and modified barrels?

Have at it boys (and girls if that fits) :thanks:
My recommendation would be to use The Winchester® Supreme™ Double X 2¾" Magnum 1300fps 1½oz #4, 5, or 6 Pb. While I am a big fan of Federal® ammunition, when it comes to Pb Turkey loads; Winchester® Supreme™ are the very best IMHO.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Swamphunter

I patterned some loads today and got Ok results form the Remington #6, 1-1/2 oz loads but hoping  to do better.  Looking at a new choke tube.  What choke tube (non-ported) would you recommend for 6s?

BandedSpur

M R Ducks

This may sound crazy, but try federal 1-1/4 once pheasant loads in #5.  I have my kid shooting your setup, but with a ventilator choke tube with this shell (he is only 11) and I can't believe the pattern and results.  I will post a pattern picture today on the proper forum.

Now I limit his shots to 30 yards, and we patterned at 20, but the pattern is 6 inches across at 20, and all but a perfect circle.

Ducks

The card board piece is 12 X 12

Swamphunter

I have tried three winchesters through many a gun and none that I have seem to like them.  Usually the FC Federals are noticeably better than most but not so much with the 1100.  It seems to like Remington premier 1-1/2 oz 6s and 5s'

I saw a new ventilator in the bargain bin at my local bait shop.  I don't care for the added noise of ported guns and wont allow them in my duck blind but I see the holes are straight not angled back.  Question is, does this choke bust you ears like a ported gun?  Sounds like the thing to try if not. The older I get the more sensitive I am to hearing loss, i want to hear those gobblers for many years to come. 

Thanks

Swamphunter

Ducks,

Thanks, doesn't sound crazy at all.  I was patterning an old 16 gauge Winchester model 37 and less was more.  I got better paterns out of the 1-1/8 oz Winchester 4s than magnum Federal 1-1/4 oz 6s and 4s.  Go figure.  Good squirrel gun but not enough pattern for turkeys past 20 yards max. 

BowBendr

I found a whole bunch of the Win. 1 5/8 oz. loads in #5 at a local store that were collecting dust.

I shoot them from an early '50s model Stevens 94b with a fixed full choke.

They are bad, bad, bad news out to 35 yds.