turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

federal hw and fc wad

Started by 10ga.Trauma, February 13, 2013, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10ga.Trauma

Hello Im new to the fourm and the sport of turkey hunting. I bought a remington sp-10 with a 24 inch barrel and have two non ported hastings chokes, one in .685 and one in .710. I want to get some federal hw shells and was wondering if the tungsten mix would damage the barrel of my LE 89 series sp-10 or the choke tubes. Thanks!

SKFOOTER

No it will not.  And that .685 tube should throw a nasty pattern with the Federal HW #7's. :OGturkeyhead:

Full_Fan

Are hastings chokes marked "Lead Only"?  Regardless, are they recommended for use with HLT shot?

10ga.Trauma

yeah they are marked lead only

SKFOOTER

But my experience with them has shown me that they are strong enough for Hevi Shot.

10ga.Trauma

Thank you sir, I appreciate the help!

Thegobblergetter

I agree with SKFOOTER, too.  I have shot many HTL loads thru my Hastings .685 and never have had a problem.  John

Rockhound

Yep i have ran them through a Hastings myself.  Hastings went out of business before htl was on the market so the lead only markings are to insure no one shoots steel through them

10ga.Trauma

BrowningGuy88

I have really liked the Hastings 685 that is in the BPS I am borrowing. It shoots Federal lead really well. I am going to try Mag Blends through it in the next couple of weeks.

runngun

I was told by a choke Mfg that the chokes that read "lead only or "no steel" was not intended for shooting the large steel, such as #2, or BB, BBB!!!  Just easier to stamp no steel or lead only rather than be specific.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

10ga.Trauma

So it's pretty safe to say fed heavy weights are safe to use then eh?  As long as I'm using small shot

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Full_Fan

Makes sense to me runngun.  I also know folks have told me that they can get great results with these loads using ported chokes even though they may interfer with what the wads were designed to do.  I don't know if there are any safety issues there or not, but performance-wise they seem to be fine with some ported chokes.

Old Gobbler

When in doubt , I recommend you contact the choke or ammo company to make sure it is okay to use -

I know of one choke tube company that advises against the FCW , but since then they switched to stronger Stainless Material

I am interested in how the Non- Ported Trulock will shoot with the sp10 and feds
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon