News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody shoot #5's out of their 20ga?

Started by 870FaceLift, February 11, 2013, 12:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to owning a 20ga turkey killer, but I've got a cool little project going now.  I've always shot #5's out of my 12ga setups.  Do any of you shoot #5's out of your 20ga?  Why or why not?  Thanks
Pass it on...

BrowningGuy88

Yes I have shot Winchester Supreme #5's for years out of mine. I have killed several gobblers with it.

I am now shooting Federal Heavyweight or Hevi 13 both in #6 shot through a Sumtoy choke (.562-5) and am really impressed with the patterns. The Winchester lead loads hover above 90 in the 10" circle at 40 yards with that choke too.

You may also want to try Fed HWT #7's and H13 #7's as they will produce better numbers than lead 5's ro hevi 6's.

savduck

Got a buddy that shots Hevi 13 5s out of a tru glo SSX and Charles Daley. He kills the heck out of them. He doesn't get huge numbers in the 10, but it puts up a great hunting pattern out to 40 with some built in misjudgment yardage.
Georgia Boy

dawei

I have a 2007 Remington® Spartan™ SPR220 (Baikal® IZH-43) 20ga SxS that does yeoman service with two Colonial Arms .575 & .570" chokes; and Remington Nitro-Turkey 3" 1185fps 1¼oz #5 Pb. I would not hesitate to shoot out to 35yds w/either choke and this load. I just acquired some of the new Winchester® Double X Magnums in #5Pb and will try them in all three of my 20ga guns soon.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

have used #5's in my 20's a good bit over the years
I get a good even hunting pattern of about 85-105 out of my CD pump with a factory full choke in it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

I have tried 5s in about every shell, choke, gun , made it seems and they have never out patterned loads of 6s, 7s, or 7.5s.
The best pattern of lead #5s I have seen was a 21" 870 using the Truglo strut stopper at about 30 yards.

WyoHunter

Winchester Supreme before I converted to Hevi-13 7's and now trying Fed HWT 7's.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!