turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

hastings .575 and federal 7's

Started by DUPREE, February 10, 2013, 01:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUPREE

Has anyone tried this combo? I found one of the hastings 575 and ordered it for $18, so I guess Im not out much if it doesnt pattern well. Will be shooting the combo in a weatherby sa-08 with 24" barrel.

gophert

where did you order the hastings from?

DUPREE

Gbblr-killer

you gotta be careful with the federals due to their "flite-control"wad,  i believe you cant  you cant use to tight a choke with them, i had problems with them using a turkey choke, they wouldnt pattern worth a darn, lots if fliers in the pattern,

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Gbblr-killer on February 10, 2013, 07:34:55 PM
you gotta be careful with the federals due to their "flite-control"wad,  i believe you cant  you cant use to tight a choke with them, i had problems with them using a turkey choke, they wouldnt pattern worth a darn, lots if fliers in the pattern,

The .575 constriction is just fine and as a matter of fact, many...MANY guys run even tighter...into the .555 range.  It can be certain porting designs  that can mess up the FC wad, but even then there are chokes like the Troglo SSX that has ports AND straight "rifling" type ribs running the length of the constriction and they are known to shoot the Fed. HW's beautifully.  To the OP...If you found an UN-PORTED Hastings's choke in .575 for your Weatherby you need to JUMP ON IT!!  I'm not sure I would run a ported Hasting's with the HW's but that's just me as I thought there just weren't any Hasting's chokes made in 20 gauge that were HTL shot approved...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

DUPREE

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 11, 2013, 05:31:16 PM
Quote from: Gbblr-killer on February 10, 2013, 07:34:55 PM

The .575 constriction is just fine and as a matter of fact, many...MANY guys run even tighter...into the .555 range.  It can be certain porting designs  that can mess up the FC wad, but even then there are chokes like the Troglo SSX that has ports AND straight "rifling" type ribs running the length of the constriction and they are known to shoot the Fed. HW's beautifully.  To the OP...If you found an UN-PORTED Hastings's choke in .575 for your Weatherby you need to JUMP ON IT!!  I'm not sure I would run a ported Hasting's with the HW's but that's just me as I thought there just weren't any Hasting's chokes made in 20 gauge that were HTL shot approved...

I have already ordered it. My charles daly I had set up got in the 170's with a rsf and the federals. Im very familiar with 20guages, just couldnt find anything on this particular choke. If it throws anything at least 115 @ 40 ill hunt with it. If Im not happy with the results I plan on getting up with savduck and trying some of his chokes before I make any pricey purchases.

DUPREE

I just realized the choke I ordered is for a browning invector plus, so it won't fit my Weatherby.

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

savduck

I got something you can borrow until you decide to Getty something. That PG 570 should do just fine, it will put 100 to 120 pattern at forty.
Georgia Boy