turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 questions??????

Started by jtoliver43, February 07, 2013, 11:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

Are there any major differences between older youth model 870s vs the brand new ones? I have found a used, older model youth 870 20 that is in great shape. The guy will let it go for $250. I can get a new one for $350.  My concerns are will the sure shot stock and forearms fit it? Are the specs the same as far as choke threads? Overall accessories compatibilitys the same?  Here is a picture of the gun, doesn't show much detail
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

SumToy

It is all the same.  Only thing is if the old one does not have chokes in it.  Now you can have them put in it if not.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gophert

I have the both models, a slighter older and a brand new.  They are exactly the same as far as stock and forearm.  I hate to say it, but my daughter's new one out shoots the old one, but not by much.  Walmart usually has the wood youth models for $257 in our area. 

Sand Man

I've bought and built 5 so far.  I have no way of knowing old or new, but I do know some say express and some don't.  I've had to call to Remington to get parts and there's only one part number the majority of the time for a 20ga, so that tells me they are all built off the same platform.  I know all of the stocks, mag cap, chokes, barrels, etc I've used/swapped out have fit on each gun.  You should be good to go there.  I've paid anywhere from $150 to $275/gun, so $250 is about ballpark, but not a smoking deal either.

The hard part now is finding an adjustable pistol grip stock if that's the route you want to go.  Getting harder and harder to find.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Sand Man

Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
Walmart usually has the wood youth models for $257 in our area.

Smoking price.  Where exactly is "our area"?   :)

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

gophert

Quote from: Sand Man on February 08, 2013, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
Walmart usually has the wood youth models for $257 in our area.

Smoking price.  Where exactly is "our area"?   :)

Russ, my area is Nashville, TN.  There for a while all they stocked was the laminate wood looking youth 870's for $257....out the door with tax and background check was $290.  Now all they seem to carry is the black plastic one for $329.  They had the same deal on the 12ga model too. 

Tim

allaboutshooting

I've owned several over the years and the quality seems pretty much the same on all of them. All parts are the same and threads are the same for chokes.

They used to be about $250.00 new but I haven't shopped for one lately.

If an 870 is kept oiled, the barrel is not bulged or choke tube stuck, there's not much about them that can't be pretty easily repaired or replaced and they'll last several lifetimes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

redarrow

Keep in mind that the early 20 ga. Wingmasters were built on a 12 ga. rcvr.This probably isnt a concern for you since you are most likely talking about the Express.I offered this info only because I bought a 20 ga. saddle mount for my wingmaster and it was too narrow to fit over the rcvr. Had to buy one for a 12 ga.

pauld

Quote from: Sand Man on February 08, 2013, 01:44:41 PM

The hard part now is finding an adjustable pistol grip stock if that's the route you want to go.  Getting harder and harder to find.

Order one ffrom ATI now and you'll have it by April or May...maybe......possibly.... :whip2: