OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube question for sp-10

Started by M R Ducks, February 09, 2013, 09:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M R Ducks

Hey all!  I'm new to the forum.  Love what I've seen, and need some advise from 10 gage shooters.

I have a ported Hastings 695 and a non-ported 685 for my sp-10.  From what I've been reading, the new hevi13 and federal hevi shot ammo is comparable in performance to nitro ammo, with the advantage of being a little more reliable to obtain.  Also read on another forum (duckhuntingchat) that nitro ammoin12 was running about 5000 psi over max pressure.  Don't know if it's true, but if you ever shot one...... Well maybe not a risk I want to run in my gun.

So anyone try the off the shelf stuff through either of these chokes?  Got it that I can't shoot the FCC wad though the ported choke....

Thanks!  Great forum!

Set up the past few years has been

SP-10
Hastings ported choke 695
Federal HV #5  (2 oz, 1300fps lead)

Pattern for this set up falls apart at 40 yards...... 

Ducks :wave:

Old Gobbler

Welcome to the site !!!

I have that Gun

I have had that choke

I have used all of this Ammo

1) the choke ---.695 Hastings , I used it in the 1990's to shoot federal #4 lead - I dropped it on the skirt and bent it - in the trash bin it went -- I will say in outperformed the factory turkey tube , but not the other tubes out there

2) Federals --try the 6's or best yet the  #7 HW  even the 7's are overkill  --if you can - buy up any of this ammo you find  ...... the future is uncertain on this shell , and it is probably the very best factory load available for the 10 gauge - try a "kicks" in with that shell out of your gun

3) Nitros - they a licenced , insured ammo manufacturer ,and  have been in business making high performance turkey loads for 20+ years , they are the authority on turkey shells _ there was a vendor QC issue for the powder they use in some of their loads - there was a recall , if you have any questions regarding nitro shells only they can provide factual information on the situation , and they are always more than happy to discuss and product details and information - I have shot box ,after box of nitros ,I have run  hundreds of them in my sp10 - im still typing with all my 10 fingers , and there are a good number of gobblers that are not gobbling up the woods anymore because of it 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

M R Ducks

Hey - thanks a million appreciate the info and will look for those shells.

Now I dont believe everything posted on line, but I was able to track down the thread about the high pressure in nitro ammo.  My best turkey hunting buddies use nitros - I may try them if I can't get factory shells to perform better out of my SP-10 at 40 -50 yards. 

Ducks

Old Gobbler

I make it a policy not to comment (negatively) on other people that are not members here  or their businesses , also other social websites - I know you mean well but it is not fair to them to have that link in there directly indicating who they are - so I kindly edited it out

Those shells tested may very well be the recall items that had a faster than wanted burnrate due to a powder issue - Nitro ammunition addressed the situation publicly , not before several individuals who just so happen to have a side business selling/distributing a competitive product or faithful users of it , or for profit of some sorts had a good time with it - There was a almost predictable pattern of targeting several companies publicly in this manner and trying to involve my property Oldgobbler.com in the process as to complicate the issue for the businesses -

Never seen in all the years of owning this site , a gun shooting nitro having a catastrophic failure - not saying it hasn't happened , just saying never heard of it - they call them nitros for a reason .... they are potent - if anyone feels anything is this world is unsafe for them , they should not do it , nor use the product - thats why I dont skydive or speed on the highway  - but if anyone has any questions or concerns about Nitro , they would be best served to ask Nitro directly , they are the insured legitimate .... ammo maker , and only they are accountable and solely responsible for its content 

_ I am not a paid representative for any company except my own

-Shannon

jerf

Used nitros last year in my h&r 10 no trouble at all, if they were loaded hot they would have stuck in the action. Every shell extracted normal. I just got a sp 10 and 25 more nitros and cant wait for the snow to melt.

jerf

By the way, welcome glad to have another 10 gauge fan.

M R Ducks

Sorry for the miscue, Old Gobbler.  Your site, your policies - thanks for the friendly lesson.

Ducks

Old Gobbler

My apologies - Sorry to come off a bit strong , we had issues in the past with people promoting 80 , 90 and 100 yard shots -( that was one of them in that link)  I found them to be quite unrealistic and unreasonable -

I'm all about safety now , like mentioned if anyone has a concern then they should address it with the company and or regulatory agency involved with that product(s)   

-Shannon

runngun

I have shot Nitro's for a very very long time in just a bout every gun you could imagine. TC encore, Beretta 20 gauge, Browning 10, Benelli SBE and others. They are maybe a little "hot". But NOT more dangerous than any other shells. They WILL pattern like NO other factory load and I have shot every turkey load you could imagine. It is all up to you and what you want to do and if you want to spend the money.  I love Nitro's!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

M R Ducks

Runngun - As I just postedon another thread - I'm swithching to Nitro Mega Weights. I ordered the suggested .690 Jelly Head tonight, and will decide on either the 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 Nitro offerings tomorrow or so.

If you hae a recommendation for optics on my SP-10 - Id appreaciate it.  Leaning towards a Qucik Shot.

Ducks

runngun

Have you had your SP10 been drilled and tapped? I have used a EOtech Holosight, Nikon turkey pro scope and Burris Fast fire. You should have no problems with your choice of the Quick shot. Are you talking about the mueller? I have read some good things about them. Check out some post in the twenty and twelve gauge forums there is a lot of talk about optics. I really like the Nikon turkey pro had excellant luck with it but I did not have a problem with the others either.
Man you are gonna like them Nitros once you get her dailed in. There is a directive here somewhere, how to on setting up your scope and patterned. Be sure to start at about 10 yards with some cheaper shells, shoot and adjust. Get her hitting where you want and move to 40, shoot again get it where you want it. Use the cheap shells cause you do not want to waste your NITROS.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

M R Ducks

Running,

Thanks for the input.  I have a saddle mount for my sp-10. 

A nice thing about the reflex sights is that they are easy to sight in.  I already know where the gun patterns with open sights, and I can see through the lens and dial the dot just above the bead to get started.

I will look for those directions.....

Ducks