turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your favorite playing surface?

Started by REBELYELL, February 08, 2013, 11:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

How would you rank these playing surfaces for your hunting style and previous success hunting with them? My favorite surface is slate, but because it's so humid in MS most of the Spring, it probably ranks towards the bottom of my list. I got one of Ricky's copper calls and it's my new favorite.

Glass/crystal
Slate
Ceramic
Aluminum
Copper 

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: REBELYELL on February 08, 2013, 11:58:13 AM
How would you rank these playing surfaces for your hunting style and previous success hunting with them? My favorite surface is slate, but because it's so humid in MS most of the Spring, it probably ranks towards the bottom of my list. I got one of Ricky's copper calls and it's my new favorite.

Glass/crystal--9
Slate--7
Ceramic--4
Aluminum--6
Copper--3 
On a 1-10 scale. For all around use, sound, ease of use, and effectiveness on birds.

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

outdoors

Same problem hear in FL . Sooooo , I use Ceramic great surface ..... :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

scoot12

In my opinion a correctly conditioned glass or crystal plays as easy as slate or ceramic,  anodized aluminum is also pretty easy to play.  Copper can be a little finicky but has a different sound to it.  I would say crystal is my favorite surface.  Scoot

Jbird22

1. Aluminum - As long as it's anodized it's very low maintenance and sounds great. My personal favorite.
2. Glass/crystal - I love a good glass call just a tad more upkeep than aluminum.
3. Copper - Unique sound but is very striker/pressure sensitive. Sound is worth it though.
4. Slate - Like it fine just don't use it as often as top 3. Easy to maintain and play.
5. Ceramic - Owned a K&H Sla-tek years ago and it turned me off to ceramic. Not a good sample to judge it by though I'm sure.

Erno86

When it's not too wet or humid out...I like the ceramic pot, cuz it seems bring out the best response from gobblers at times. I've never tried a copper pot, but I'll be buying one in the near future for this spring's turkey hunts.

Cheers,

Erno86

BrowningGuy88

For years I have sworn by a crystal pot, but this year I bought a Yingling copper and it sounds great. We will see how it comes out in ranking this season, but I have a great feeling about it.

The crystal pot I am running has accounted for over 50 gobblers in the last 8 years (no I didn't shoot them all) so it is going to be hard to replace.

magnoliagamecalls

WildSpur

Glass here.  Followed by slate.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

BKAart

Glass is what I prefer but, I love a good slate if the weather cooperates.
Purrr D Calls "Proof that Looks can Kill"

Bntmtngamecalls

Copper is my favorite, once you get used to playing it.  Otherwise I like anodized aluminum.

Cut*N*Run

jblackburn

Glass, slate, anodized aluminium

that order

hickory striker, persimmon striker, red oak striker, that order
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WildTigerTrout

I guess I'm old fashioned on this too but I prefer slate closely followed by glass and crystal.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BowBendr

Glass
Ceramic
Copper
Anodized Aluminum
Slate

I like purpleheart, osage, hickory, and dymondwood strikers on all of these surfaces.