OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

setting up a new 20 gauge for 2013, recommendations?

Started by jtoliver43, February 06, 2013, 06:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

Hey guys, I'm pulling the trigger (pun) on switching from 12 to 20 for turkeys. I love my sx3 12 however the 28 inch barrel and overall bulk of the gun is tough in the thick stuff. I hunt in woods and swamps more often than in feilds anyways. I've made my mind up on the 870 youth model 21". And would like to shoot the Fed HVY W #7s.  Unless others are recommended. I'm hoping to get recommendations on chokes/shell combos, after market stocks, etc... I have always used tru glo open sights and have never made the switch to red dot/ scopes. What would your pros and cons be for scopes/ open sights for this project? Any help is truly appreciatedd.
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

davisd9

I have a truglo ssx that I tried in my 11-87 20 Ga that does well with the federal 7s. It did not shoot good out of my gun but I truly believe it has to do with barrel length cause it is a highly recommended choke but most guys use it with the 21" barrel and my gun has a 26" barrel. I have it in the classifieds and if you are interested then just let me know. Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

savduck

The SSX and Sum toy shoot the Feds decent from my 870. Set up right an that will be a fine little rig.

Another one to look at is the weatherby SA 08 youth model. I've recommended these and several guys have picked them up and love them. All so far have been shooters with a sum toy and fed 7s.
Georgia Boy

gophert

savduck

Georgia Boy

Uvagobbler

I have no experience with your 21" barrel in your 20 gauge, but I have a 21" barrel in a 11-87 12 ga. It was harder for me to get it dialed in with the shorter barrel and find what it liked.  I bought a 11-87 20 gauge with a 26" barrel. It patterns like a charm with the ssx with hevi #7's and nitro ammo straight #7's. I also used the Indian creek with the nitro's. They pattern great in both my guns.  I also bought some fed hvy #7 I want to try before the season. I am considering a sumtoy choke if the ssx doesn't like it. I believe that sumtoy will work with you a help you get dialed in. I've also read threads where different lot numbers produce different results. I wouldn't rule out hevi-13 #7's. Let us know what combo works out. Good luck.

BrowningGuy88

I shoot Fed HWT in mine, but I shoot 6's. I am running a SumToy 562-5 choke and can say I am confident with any 40 yard shot I am offered. That combo puts 120 of the 6's in a 10" at 40 yards. I have a 12 gauge that won't do that with lead 6's and I have killed a whole pile of birds with it.

jtoliver43

ok so as soon as i get my tax return i am going to start building my new gun. im going to go with the 870 youth and start out with an tru glo ssx and/or RSF choke if I can find them. I think I will hold off on the adjustable stock for the beginning and put that money towards a decent sight. I see that the Burris FFii and FFiii are the most popular. is the FFiii worth the extra money if i could find a deal on an FFii? also from what I understand I will need to buy a marlin 336 if (I want a snug, 2 hole drill and tap vs 4) mount and a protector? does this mean the sight does not have a protective housing straight from the factory? how much extra is a protector? sorry if my questions annoy, I just want to ensure that i'm building a quality reliable gun capable of ethical kills. I made a bad shot last year on a bird and had to track him like a deer I felt bad and decided I wanted to create a perfect turkey gun . no more pinching pennies on cheap shells,sights,and chokes to add and remove to my duck gun every year. thanks to all, and Im very happy to have joined this sight

-Trey
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: jtoliver43 on February 07, 2013, 04:26:52 PM
ok so as soon as i get my tax return i am going to start building my new gun. im going to go with the 870 youth and start out with an tru glo ssx and/or RSF choke if I can find them. I think I will hold off on the adjustable stock for the beginning and put that money towards a decent sight. I see that the Burris FFii and FFiii are the most popular. is the FFiii worth the extra money if i could find a deal on an FFii? also from what I understand I will need to buy a marlin 336 if (I want a snug, 2 hole drill and tap vs 4) mount and a protector? does this mean the sight does not have a protective housing straight from the factory? how much extra is a protector? sorry if my questions annoy, I just want to ensure that i'm building a quality reliable gun capable of ethical kills. I made a bad shot last year on a bird and had to track him like a deer I felt bad and decided I wanted to create a perfect turkey gun . no more pinching pennies on cheap shells,sights,and chokes to add and remove to my duck gun every year. thanks to all, and Im very happy to have joined this sight

-Trey

Yes for the cleanest mount possible, the Marlin 336 mount with the Burris will mount flush and only require two holes to be drilled. I am going this route on my new gun. You can get the factory Burris guard separately or order a Warbird gaurd from gobbler74 on this forum. Both are good looking gaurds.

As far as FFII vs FF3 - I can only say I am buying the FF3 for the eas of battery swaps.

Hayudog

I think if you are doing the 870, Gophert's rig is a great set up.

jtoliver43

Conserve. Hunt. Share.

crenshawco

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jtoliver43

I'm a little.... well a lot confused. when it comes to patterning and sighting in your gun. why is the red bulls-eye sticker not in the center of your ten inch circle? Ive noticed a lot of pictures here where people are showing there patterns and have the sticker on various parts of the target. shouldn't the bulls-eye be dead center and the POI/POA be centered on the bulls-eye as well. what are the offset stickers indicating? is that where you were aiming Gophert, to the top right of the 10" circle? I'm sure this is a dumb question and I am just misunderstanding the process. so forgive me in advance.
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

savduck

If your sighting in you adjust your sight to have the dense part of your pattern hitting around the bulleye. once you have gotten this done, there is no need to adjust it, Pulled shots happen.This may have been taken during the sighting in process or simply a slightly pulled shot. The center core was not centered on this shot so he drew the ten inch circle where it was at so he could gauge what his pattern will do in the ten.

Your looking at two different things here. During the sighting in process you are checking your POA/POI and even if your off center you can still draw your ten ring to gauge what your gun is capable of.
Georgia Boy