only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mag Blend

Started by jbrown, January 30, 2013, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Has anyone tried mag blends in 20g??

mightyjoeyoung

Here's my take on this.  Why on earth would you want ANY #5 shot in a 1 1/4 ounce payload of htl, when straight 6's or 7's will kill just as far, and do it with a denser pattern?  Don't see the need for 20 ga. Mag Blends or the thinking on E.M."s part with this round...other than yet ANOTHER poor marketing ploy.  Sure I bet some guys will chime in and say it's the bestest thing they ever shot, but why?  I'll take a homogeneous load of htl over a mixed size load in the 20 any day.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

savduck

Jim, Ive got one box of hevi 7s. They are yours to try since Im running the Feds.
Georgia Boy

gophert

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 30, 2013, 08:32:55 PM
Here's my take on this.  Why on earth would you want ANY #5 shot in a 1 1/4 ounce payload of htl, when straight 6's or 7's will kill just as far, and do it with a denser pattern?  Don't see the need for 20 ga. Mag Blends or the thinking on E.M."s part with this round...other than yet ANOTHER poor marketing ploy.  Sure I bet some guys will chime in and say it's the bestest thing they ever shot, but why?  I'll take a homogeneous load of htl over a mixed size load in the 20 any day.

Agree

BigHooks

jbrown

Thanks Del. I couldn't find any 7's up this way, one store had the mag blends, thats why I asked the question.

R AJ

Which begs the question why did Winchester stick to the #5 as its smallest offering in 20 gauge XR?

sevetts

i like em, killed a bird with a blend last year. youll have a better pattern with straight 7s but i hunted with the blends cause it also through a nice pattern and i felt more comfortable knowing i was throwing the mainly 7 blend 100fps faster

whiskey

Our 20ga Mossy likes the blends. It throws a good pattern, so we stuck with it. My kid killed a nice bird at a full 40 yards last year with them. She hit just a bit low, was glad to have the 5's in there.

surehuntsalot

don't know why,but they pattern better through all of my chokes than the straight 7's   Federal or Hevi
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hayudog

Tend to agree.   I think the marketing is the best answer to why.

Philippe

I did and they didnt pattern worth a damn. Switched back to Fed HW 6's and 7's and never looked back.